First planted tank (first tank in 10+ years) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
First planted tank (first tank in 10+ years)

Ok so I haven't had a fish tank in years, my last fish tank was a 55g reeftank (lps and softs), so I have a decent background but as far as freshwater I'm out of the loop.

My tank is setup and cycling.

Tank: 40 Breeder
Filter 1: cascade 1000 (carbon, chemipure elite and fluval bio rings)
Filter 2: cascade 1000 ( top 2 trays filled with seachem matrix)
Light: Finnex Planted Plus 24/7
Heater: Hydor inline 300w
Substrate: Pool filter sand
Decor: 3 Peices of driftwood
Plants: I have a couple jungle val's that seem to be melting and another plant i dont know what it is
Fert: i made some size 0 dynamite tabs
Fish: 8 neon tetras, soon to house a Diamond Rhom

seem like a good start? how do i make these vals thrive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pics, bruh, picsss

The Fraternity of Dirt #169
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Why the carbon and chemipure???

Chemipure in particular is a phosphate remover... Phosphate is essential for plant growth, which is why it is commonly removed in non-planted tanks, as algae is a plant. Removing it in a planted tank will generally result in plant suppression.

Carbon also tends to adsorb certain metals which are plant nutrients.

Fertilizers: Dynamite tabs will be fine if all your plants are deep rooting types.. it won't help anything growing off the hardscape like mosses, java ferns or anubias.. it also won't help any floaters, should you go that route.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...php?t=107303#2
Some good info in there about a planted tank.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Reason for the carbon and chemipure was because my planned fish, daimond rhom ( black piranha) will be a pig, i really only want a few plants, not wanting a grassy floor or anything.

Should i still remove the carbon ang just run all bio matrix ?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'll be honest, In my experience it is generally much harder to keep a few plants than it is to heavily plant a tank...

With an unplanted tank, you can rely on low light a nutrient limiting to suppress algae.
In a heavily planted tank, you can rely on the plants to suppress algae.

In a sparsely planted tank, you need the light and nutrient levels to get plants (and algae) growing, but don't have enough plant mass to for the plant-suppression to work..

That's not to say it can't be done, but be aware you are delving into a "middle ground" that can be challenging to manage.

As for your existing plants, we'd really need pictures to suggest why they might not be doing well... Given that you have no fish and a heavy nutrient-exporting filtration set up, I'd go with pretty strong odds they are suffering from nitrogen or potassium deficiencies..

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post

As for your existing plants, we'd really need pictures to suggest why they might not be doing well.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That pattern of old leaves yellowing and browning from their tips in your second picture (cryptocoryne of some sort?) is a pretty textbook example of nitrogen deficiency...

http://deficiencyfinder.com/

In particular, compare this anubias example:
http://deficiencyfinder.com/?page_id=666

There are lots of neat "quick guide to deficiency" pictures out there:

http://arizonahydroponics.net/Info2.html

http://www.aquariumslife.com/aquasca...ts-deficiency/

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
There are lots of neat "quick guide to deficiency" pictures out there:

http://arizonahydroponics.net/Info2.html

http://www.aquariumslife.com/aquasca...ts-deficiency/
Super helpful.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slythy View Post
Ok so I haven't had a fish tank in years, my last fish tank was a 55g reeftank (lps and softs), so I have a decent background but as far as freshwater I'm out of the loop.

My tank is setup and cycling.

Tank: 40 Breeder
Filter 1: cascade 1000 (carbon, chemipure elite and fluval bio rings)
Filter 2: cascade 1000 ( top 2 trays filled with seachem matrix)
Light: Finnex Planted Plus 24/7
Heater: Hydor inline 300w
Substrate: Pool filter sand
Decor: 3 Peices of driftwood
Plants: I have a couple jungle val's that seem to be melting and another plant i dont know what it is
Fert: i made some size 0 dynamite tabs
Fish: 8 neon tetras, soon to house a Diamond Rhom

seem like a good start? how do i make these vals thrive?
l have some hard opinions for why someone should get into this part of the aquarium hobby. First and foremost is the emphasis must be placed upon plants. Your approach is opposite of that, it is a fish tank with a few decorative plants. If you been inspired by the planted tanks you seen, but don't want that then I think you need to reevaluate why you want to do a "planted" tank in the first place. With a heavily planted tank you can rid yourself of much stuff that's useful to a fish only tank. With less stuff to fuss over there's more time to enjoy the tank.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
l have some hard opinions for why someone should get into this part of the aquarium hobby. First and foremost is the emphasis must be placed upon plants. Your approach is opposite of that, it is a fish tank with a few decorative plants. If you been inspired by the planted tanks you seen, but don't want that then I think you need to reevaluate why you want to do a "planted" tank in the first place. With a heavily planted tank you can rid yourself of much stuff that's useful to a fish only tank. With less stuff to fuss over there's more time to enjoy the tank.

i really do like the planted tanks ive seen, i also really enjoy the black diamond rohm i just bought. i think im afraid of a ton of plants because i still want him to be able to swim around freely. i added a few more vals.

i got my info from a friend with a planted tank, im using the stuff he is using. should i remove the carbon and the chemi pure?

what should i dose, or start to dose? i really like the look of the jungle vals and plants, just would like to also see some sand in the front with my rhom able to swim still.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
i really do like the planted tanks ive seen, i also really enjoy the black diamond rohm i just bought. i think im afraid of a ton of plants because i still want him to be able to swim around freely. i added a few more vals.
I'm certain you can do that and give this fish room.
Quote:
i got my info from a friend with a planted tank, im using the stuff he is using. should i remove the carbon and the chemi pure?
There's lots of info. If I or anyone just tells you what to do I don't think you'll learn the why of what to do. Just take time and read articles.
Quote:
what should i dose, or start to dose? i really like the look of the jungle vals and plants, just would like to also see some sand in the front with my rhom able to swim still.
A repeat of the former replies.

You have three options. One is the Diane Walstad method. It's low tech. And the other is high tech with all the fancy filters and other stuff. Or something in between. I have something in between. My only concession to high tech is pressurized co2, but no solenoid valve, which runs 24/7 just like nature does it. No filters, plants filter the water. Small water changes every few days. I don't have to worry about filter maintenance, what happens if the solenoid valve does not have power for a period of time. And I use waterpumps to move water. And of course a waterheater.

Here is another forum worth bookmarking. http://www.barrreport.com/

Remember this. This hobby is underwater gardening. And if you have healthy plants I can guarantee you'll have healthy fish.

Last edited by Steve001; 09-05-2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: .
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Remember this. This hobby is underwater gardening. And if you have healthy plants I can guarantee you'll have healthy fish.[/QUOTE]

This is a great statement. I agree with Steve.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode