Moving A Tank...I need suggestions As Soon as Possible!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Moving A Tank...I need suggestions As Soon as Possible!!

I am moving over to my college dorm today and am deciding to take my 20 gallon long with me. It is moderately planted, so I do not really want to tear everything up and have to replant it again. (especially my dwarf hair grass foreground!) The tank right now has some CPDs, three Otos and about 10 RCS.

My question is how should I go about moving this tank? I have some ideas but am not sure what I should do. I am only about 25 minutes away from teh school, so the ride will not be long.

1) I could drain the tank halfway or a little less and keep all the plants and fish/shrimp in the tank and move them like that. I am worried that that maybe while in the car, the Aquasoil substrate will stir around and in turn release ammonia and cause an ammonia spike hurting the fish. (I am not sure if disturbing the aquasoil will cause a spike or not...It has been set up in teh tank for 6 months now.)

2) I could TRY and catch all my fish and move them to a separate bucket during the move. I am not sure if I will be able to catch all the fish though because they are all fast/small and the tank has many plants making it difficult to catch all teh fish.

3) Or if i really have to, I could tear down teh entire tank and reset it up in my dorm. I would maybe like to avoid this though, but it could be a chance to do a rescape on my tank. hehe.

I would like to choose the best method that would prevent any fish deaths while I am transporting my tank. I really need some suggestions soon though since I have to finish moving into my dorm pretty soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to snoz0r
when i moved across state lines.. albeit only a 2 hour move i opted for option 1. however at the time i only had plain gravel so i can't speak for the ammonia spike, more likely from debris and such in the substrate. you could probably do it depending on the length of the drive and time to set it back up if you drive carefully

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
click above for my tank journal - Eheim Pimp Club #357 - SunSun Pimp #3
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:23 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
#2 and leave a couple inches of water for the stranded fish. Clean the filter and transport that moist, not flooded. I wouldn't feed for a few days after the move. Might also cut your lighting down for a while.

Take as much of your old water as you can. Once it's in position add some of your old water and then drain it back out. This will hopefully get some of the stuff stirred up in the move out. Then add the rest of your old water and top off with new.

SteveU

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:25 PM

i also moved my tank when we moved into another house. i went to option #3. if your setup is quite old already, well then this is a chance for a tank reset. It's better to be on the safeside.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
What i do is take out all of the live stock and most of the water in a rubbermaid container. You can leave the plants in as long as you keep them moist. When you get to your dorm very slowly pour the water back in and then i would wait for a little while and slowly introduce your fish and shrimp back in. This is how i move my tank everytime and it never fails. I reuse the water bc it makes it easier on the fish so they dont have to adjust as much to new water parameters.

Texas A&M-Commerce Track & Field
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone, I think I am going to fish out whatever fish I can, and then take the tank up as is.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:59 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
You're not done yet?

SteveU
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

haha I am kinda procrastinating on moving in at the moment >< I did set up a trap thing to catch some shrimp and it actually also caught some otos as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode