I'm MOVING - need some suggestions please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'm MOVING - need some suggestions please!

Ok, I know there are lots of threads about moving with tanks and fish and whatnot, but I have a few questions specific to MY move that I was hoping to get a little help with.

A few details:

I will only be moving my 30g in it's entirety (plants, fish etc.) The rest of my tanks have been or will be broken down, making life just slightly easier.

The tricky part of this move is that we're moving twice, probably not too many weeks apart. My boyfriend and I are still house-hunting so we are moving in with his mom for a few weeks until we close on a place.

So here are my particular questions:

1) What is the best way to keep everyone alive in the interim weeks? Should I completely reset up the tank? Or should I keep the fish in a bare-bones tanks with the stems and other plants floating?

2) What is the best way to keep moss covered DW alive in the weeks that the tank is not set up?

3) What is the best way to keep all of the plants alive in the interim weeks?

4) How do I catch all my shrimp?

5) I have a LOT of nano-fish in this tank, does that for any reason make a difference when I am deciding what containers to transfer these guys in?

6) I have a ~3hr drive, would I be better off bagging the fish or going the rubber maid bin route? If i go bins, do I need an airstone?

Ok, let's start there.

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6
1-5) I am not the best person to answer

6) For a three a hour drive you shouldnt need to worry about an airstone. I took down the tank at my wife's office last night and put the snails and 3 neon tetras in a 64oz cup about 1/4 full of tank water. Because of some computer errors she got off two hours late. I then placed the cup on the dresser next to the tank the fish were going into and promptly forgot about them for 2 more hours. When all said and done the fish spent 4+ hours in about 16oz of water and were just fine. If you give them adequate water they will be more than fine for the time it takes you to transfer them into the container drain and move the tank, make the drive, set the tank back up and add the fish back to the tank. Besides it would be easy to run an airstone up until you leave and plug it back in as soon as you arrive but you shouldnt need to worry about it in route.

[/off-rant]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
java moss covered d.w?
just leave that in a somewhat lighted area for a couple of weeks in a plastic bucket...it should be fine.
what fish do you have?
if it is somewhat warm just move the fish in a rubbermaid (that they can't jump out of) with not to much water. Unless the fish are large they will not consume all the oxygen in the water.
If it is cold keep the fish bagged in a prewarmed cooler.

If you only have nano fish and moss and java fern you are rocking!!!! Java moss and fern can last long periods of time w/o light.

If i was moving twice i'd leave the fish in a darkened tank/ plastic tub 4 the inbetween time.
BTW do not feed the fish to much before the move...less waste in the water.
catch the shrimp with a net.

under stock
over filter

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It's actually Flame moss, fissdens and christmas (or taiwan) moss covered pieces of DW, plus various stems (mostly sunset hygro and pennywort), crypts (mostly wendtii) and a few other randoms. Nothing "java"

I have approximately these fish in my tank (copied from my 30g journal)
Fauna:
15 Ember Tetras
7 Celestial Pearl Danios (CPD)
1 Zebra danio
2 male Endlers livebearers
2 male guppies
3 Boraras brigittae
6 pygmy cories (corydoras pygmaeus)
3 Otos
1 Bamboo shrimp
3 Amano shrimp
Many many RCS

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
We moved my 90. Most of the fish went into two 5 gal buckets. We left about 2 inches of water in the tank and left everything in the tank but a couple stones and a big piece of DW. Didn't bother catching the shrimp and a few Cory's that didn't want to be caught. We only had a one hour drive but there was at least an hour on each end (before we left and after we arrived.)

So as far as the 30g... I'd set it up. Just consider it a scheduled water change.

SteveU
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Cool, good to know, thanks for the info GTR!

What is the best way to transport a filter to keep the beneficial bacteria alive?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode