I have a question about my setup, i'm an experienced aquarium keeping but have only been keeping planted tanks for the last 2 years.
Last year i had a small 170 litre tank as a tester, i got some fair growth but nothing to cheer about.
I've now moved and got myself my dream tank, a lovely 450 litre (DP and sump) tank and have began to fill it with plants, having set this up around 2 months using mature filter media from my old tank and being very under stocked. I'm seeing any real growth (plants seem to be dying more than anything)
- I have an auto water change system which dumps out 2L of water 5 times a day and is replaced automatically with water treated with 2 carbon blocks to remove chlorine.
- I have an auto doser with doses ferts in smaller doses over the day when the lights are on, this a macro and micro ferts solution.
- Co2 is injected into the sump and my drop checkers show green.
- Substrate is a florite black, especially for plants. 3" deep.
- Sump based filter is filled with 3 powerheads which blows all of the debris towards the pump which removes water during water changes.
- Lighting is via 4 GE 6500k (Daylight) T8's (30w), 2 of which run for 10 hours per day and the other 2 for 12 hours.
- Two wave makers ensure good flow in the display tank
I cant see any reason that the plants i have (some densa, anubias and sword and java fern) shouldn't be growing mad as they are rather un-demanding
Only the anubias seems to have grown roots into the wood its attached too.
Java fern has began to die and grow plantlets so i've trimmed this back.
Sword is very sad looking. Leaves are light green and full of holes.
I'm dubious about putting more plants in there until i know they will thrive (or that i'm being impatient)
i'm currently also getting an issue with Diatoms on the glass which following a clean re-appears within a matter of days. My water (mains water) shows very high Phosphates (5 on my test kit) so I've put into some media to reduce this.
Does anyone have any advice that may help to get my plants to thrive?
Bump: A few pics incase anyone notices something i may be doing wrong