Milwaukee Regulator - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Milwaukee Regulator

My milwaukee regulator has been having a leak around the bubble counter. I can't figure out why. Only leaks when regulator is on and the bubble counter loses water fast within the half hour it will all be gone. Its a constant drip from it. So i recently took off the bubble counter and put thread tape on the connection but no luck. So i noticed a small crack in the counter so I used loctite silicone over it, still a drip. Recently a just got done sealing the whole perimeter around the bubble counter with silicone hoping to make a ridiculous seal, but still......A DRIP! The only thing I know is that when the regulator is off, there is no drip. The water holds in the bubble counter. But as soon as the regulator goes on, it starts losing water and dripping. Obviously, where there is a water loss, there is a CO2 leak as well. Milwaukee is sending a new bubble counter tube but for some reason, I'm having trouble thinking thats the issue. Is there anything else that can cause this leak? Any connections or something? I dont know, I'm at a loss. Once the water leaks out completely, I noticed the co2 must be then satrting to leak because the working pressure isnt so stable and the co2 rate in the tank decreases and sometimes stops. It is very frustrating!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)

Last edited by PRSRocker3390; 08-17-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I had that same problem with my Milwaukee regulator. I "fixed" it by removing the bubble counter. My problem was that the tiny little rubber O-ring that seals the bottom of the glass tube was bad. I couldn't stop the leak, but I noticed that if I removed the bubble counter, the male fitting left was exactly the same as the fitting on top of the bubble counter, so the CO2 tube connects there just as well as at the top of the bubble counter. The good news is that you have now had the first of the series of problems that regulator has. As I recall the next in the series will be the solenoid valve sticking open.

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Please, I hope the solenoid doesn't do that!!! lol

Anyway good news! I just received the new bubble counter and installed it right now. I took of all the silicone that was stuck on the regulator too. I started fresh. I put some thread tape on the threads and put on the new counter. I started up the regulator again and everything was working like usual. Great.....until one drip came out. I thought to myself "oh no, not again" and with that I gave the counter one last turn to tighten it on a little more and so far NO MORE DRIPS!!!! But I am going to continue to monitor for any drips.

Also I heard the milwaukee regulator lower gauge tends to just drop over time from 15 psi so some people raise it and it stays more stable. Right now I have it on about 20 psi and the needle valve it making one bubble per second.That should be good rate to start at for my 20, right?

What psi do you guys, keep your working pressure at? And how many bps do you use if you have a 20 high like myself?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
With a DIY reactor I run real low at about 2. On a tank with a diffuser it's near 12.

SteveU
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you are using low light intensity you can just stick with 1 bbs and relax. The CO2 will only be increasing the plant growth rate a little. But, if you have more light than that, you need to go by something other than the bubble rate, something like using a drop checker, or monitoring the plants and fish to get the optimum bubble rate. Of course you also may be one of the lucky ones who can use high light, low CO2 bubble rate, and still have no algae problems.

Hoppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have 65 watts pc over 20 so it's a good amount of light. Well so far, I was using about 1 bps and had very minimal pearling, and my drop checker was blueish green .Lights are off now but tomorrow i guess I'll shoot for 2 bubbles per second or so. I'll keep increasing till the drop checker turns a nice light green I guess.

How soon will the fish react if the co2 is too much and what signs do i look for?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
If they all swim in the top 2" of the tank or swim in circles like they are panicking they may not be adjusting well. As soon as the co2 is in the tank they should notice. I can't focus to count my bubbles but I think I'm at 3 bps right now and my drop checker is a nice lime green. I'm not super fascinated with pearling yet, just looking for good steady growth.

Eheim Pimp #381
Raleigh Aquarium Society Member

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode