LiveAquaria Plant Packs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
LiveAquaria Plant Packs?

Setting up my first high-tech, co2 injected 29g right now. Piecing things together. Thinking about plant stocking and since I'm in over my head already, this seemed intriguing:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...49&pcatid=2149

It's a collection of moderate-to-high light plants, AND it's a large load of plants and, as I've been led to believe, co2 injection only really 'works' when there are plenty of plants.

Thoughts?

LFS options are pretty dreary. It's a 70 minute drive to the nearest one which doesn't have much of a selection and what they do have isn't really great looking; and very pricey. I'd spend more than the $70+shipping (heck, I'd spend as much on gas going to the LFS as I would on shipping) on fewer plants there, and I'd get less variety. They really aren't knowledgeable or helpful either. I appreciate that they are there and carry a healthier and broader variety of fish than the nearest PetCoSmart; but their plant selection is dismal and they generally are not very knowledgeable. I've gotten some horrific advice (regarding fish compatibility) from them and, thankfully, I knew better beforehand. (Stocking suggestions from 'helpful' staff when buying OTHER fish, and they suggest I also grab a couple of another, utterly incompatible fish that would result in a lot of death!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Why not buy from the for sale section here? Lots cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
Why not buy from the for sale section here? Lots cheaper.
Some of it is the once-and-done aspect. One purchase, from a trusted retailer, with a nice large collection of plants.

But that IS a thought; I hadn't paid much attention; wasn't sure how robust the for-sale section is down here.

Also curious if it really IS cheaper as I'll have to pay shipping on potentially dozens of orders instead of $12 to ship one big order.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Sellers from forums have treated me really well.
I have never a reason to complain.

Start a WTB thread and people will respond.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

Again, as I said in the post; part of the appeal is a 'once and done' way to get started. A 'starter pack' of heartier plants good for high tech tanks.

I'm not at all averse to buying from the forum; it's just navigating long lists of plants I don't recognize. Still researching and learning and trying to decide just what exactly I need anyway! And the problem with a WTB thread is I'd need to know what I wanted! Though I suppose I could just buy that exact list of what's on the Live Aquaria page, fair enough. Would probably cost a bit more paying for shipping for each of these items. Actually, if I ordered one item per seller shipping would cost more than the whole package from LiveAquaria. But I suppose if I look carefully I can crop up a few shipments and keep the cost down. Though looking at the prices+shipping in the For Sale thread, it's certainly not cheaper. BUT, that's okay, I WOULD rather buy from the forum. Though it's riddled with "not responsible" disclaimers, compared to LiveAquaria's guarantee, and LiveAquaria's shipping quote is 2day or next day air, not ground.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomansFiveEight View Post
Some of it is the once-and-done aspect. One purchase, from a trusted retailer, with a nice large collection of plants.
I can understand that, however having bought one of the plant packs from there I can tell you that I'm much happier buying from this forum.

Quote:
But that IS a thought; I hadn't paid much attention; wasn't sure how robust the for-sale section is down here.
It is quite robust.

Quote:
Also curious if it really IS cheaper as I'll have to pay shipping on potentially dozens of orders instead of $12 to ship one big order.
You can find sellers here that offer multiple species and they combined the plants into one shipping price, usually around $7-$10. Some even ship free if you spend a limit. Also the plants you CAN get on here you won't necessarily find on LA.

I bought some plants from the members sales thread I have listed below, it's an old thread, but he normally puts up a new one once a month. He takes the pictures down after a time but many of the sellers will post pics of the plants they are selling.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=905337

Here are 3 threads that I pulled from the front page of the for sale section that I would consider buying from if I had the money and tank space.

Free shipping on orders over $30.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=917601

Free shipping on orders over $50.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=917481

Package price is shipped.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=917114

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

Yeah, I definitely may look into that. It'll mean spending some quality time with Google to figure out what all of those words mean! But that's all part of it.

I would gladly pay a forum member what I would've paid LA for a 'fully stocked' 29g setup. Especially of larger plants, if possible, since it'll be a high light / injected co2 tank and I don't want it to be 'understocked')

Man I've been doing this aquarium thing for years now but plants are new to me, and I feel like I'm starting all over again. Nowadays, especially with African Cichlids, gimme a list of latin species names and I'll put together any kind of tank you've got

Give me a list of plant species and I'll say... "Oh... A-noob-ius, that's me! Er... it's a plant too?"
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Man I've been doing this aquarium thing for years now but plants are new to me, and I feel like I'm starting all over again.
Kinda sorta...

That last link MAN that guy has A LOT of pictures up.

I'd say with what you'd pay LA in the package and shipping, if you do it right you should be able to fill your tank from here and really get the most out of that high tech setup. Just remember if you get red plants you'll want to give them a little extra iron to make the colors really pop

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:40 AM
Planted Member

If you dont want to buy from other on the forum check out aquatic arts. I have ordered from them with great experience. They have a Web site and also sell on Amazon. Great quality and super fast to respond. I'll bet they will even put a package together for you if you ask.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
Kinda sorta...

That last link MAN that guy has A LOT of pictures up.

I'd say with what you'd pay LA in the package and shipping, if you do it right you should be able to fill your tank from here and really get the most out of that high tech setup. Just remember if you get red plants you'll want to give them a little extra iron to make the colors really pop
The problem with pictures; again, is I don't know what I'm looking at. Generally, including in that 'last link', it's pictures of the tank. Since I don't know what any of the plants are, those pictures are useless.

I'm not complaining. It just means I need to do my research. Live Aquaria breaks them down with individual pictures of each plants and what their needs are. So I was looking for input on folks who had experience with them.

The last link has three pictures of the same tank and a claimed 40+ species; so I have no clue which of those 40+ species I'd be getting.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3676 View Post
If you dont want to buy from other on the forum check out aquatic arts. I have ordered from them with great experience. They have a Web site and also sell on Amazon. Great quality and super fast to respond. I'll bet they will even put a package together for you if you ask.
Thanks! I'm definitely not opposed to buying from anyone, including the forum. What I want is a large stock of healthy plants compatible with my setup at a reasonable price; which the LA link seems to provide. Perhaps others here. I don't care where I get that from!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 11:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The problem with pictures; again, is I don't know what I'm looking at. Generally, including in that 'last link', it's pictures of the tank. Since I don't know what any of the plants are, those pictures are useless.

I'm not complaining. It just means I need to do my research. Live Aquaria breaks them down with individual pictures of each plants and what their needs are. So I was looking for input on folks who had experience with them.
That last link has pics of the individual plant and loys of them. Granted there's no "requirements" listed. What I do when looking for info on specific plants in a sales thread is I open another tab in my web browser and bring up the plant profiles section of this board, you won't find every single thing but you will find most of it

Just an FYI, I have a few "low tech" plants (sword, wisteria, Anubis, crypts) in my "high tech" tank with high lighting, CO2 injection and full EI ferts they do fine, and are quite vibrant in fact.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ah you must be referring to the third link; not the last one. The last one just has three pics of the tank.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Highly recommend buying from this forum also. You'll get more than you pay for generally and free shipping from most sellers on larger orders as others have said. The quality of plants is generally better also.

What I do when I do not know the plant is just google it and spend some time reading on it. Good luck with the new setup!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Buy from users on the forum

FYI 90% of the plants in that plant pack on liveaquaria are not demanding. Just about the only high-light plants in there are rotala, kind of ludwigia, wisteria, myrio.

If you are truly going high-light / high tech CO2 you will probably end up replacing the majority of what they give you and it will be messy (crypts, swords, etc...)

For the price you could get hooked up with a NICE selection of trimmings from someone on here. The amounts they give you are totally useless as well. What is 1 stem of rotala going to do for you? 1 stem of ludwigia? It is mostly a low-tech plant pack - don't be fooled.

Buy from someone on here and get a TON of stems. I can personally vouch for bartohog and adamC. They always have stuff available and are superb sellers. Just be wary that Adam sells a lot of emersed plants so it will take them a little while to transform and adjust to submerged environments (if you buy from him)

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Ah you must be referring to the third link; not the last one. The last one just has three pics of the tank.
Yea sorry about that I wasn't paying attention, I meant this link.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=917481

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode