Best way for me to diffuse CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best way for me to diffuse CO2

I have a 55 gallon aquarium, and i plan to plant it soon, i will probably run my aquarium at 2-3 bubbles per second, and i will run them through a ceramic diffuser, with a powerhead to help circulate the tiny bubbles. Would there be a more Co2 effective way to do this, or with a tank my size, this would be the most efficient?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:42 AM
Algae Grower

Do you have a hob or canister or other type of filter?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 04:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use a reactor in my 55 high tech. Made it my self. Pretty east

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:17 AM
Algae Grower

Probably an inline diffuser. GLA claims they could even get 100% diffusion rate, although I have never tried it myself. However you do need an external canister for these.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I do have have an external canister
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:24 PM
Captain

With a canister, a good inline diffuser would be best unless you have DIY skills then I would highly recommend a reactor. For a 55 gallon tank, the cerges reactor should work just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Any good recommendations for a online diffuser? I have no idea what is good or bad, and could someone tell how the cerges reactor performs?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:42 PM
Algae Grower

I would check out a cerges or rex grigg reactor if you like diy projects. I originally went with an inline diffuser and got tired of all the bubbles. It's a lot more work to change it after the fact. That being said, some do not mind the bubbles and if you fit into the category, and inline diffuser will be great.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9bug View Post
I would check out a cerges or rex grigg reactor if you like diy projects. I originally went with an inline diffuser and got tired of all the bubbles. It's a lot more work to change it after the fact. That being said, some do not mind the bubbles and if you fit into the category, and inline diffuser will be great.
Are there a lot of bubbles? Or are they pretty fine and dissolve quickly? What kind of reactor do you use?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
Are there a lot of bubbles? Or are they pretty fine and dissolve quickly? What kind of reactor do you use?
I use a cerges reactor. No bubbles at all and just a little noise from the reactor. The only bubbles I seem to have now come from pearling.

The atomic inline diffuser I was using worked well but there were tiny CO2 bubbles everywhere. The price was roughly the same as one of the reactors too. If you have space and time (or if you dislike bubbles), I would definitely go with a reactor.

Last edited by c9bug; 08-26-2015 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added a bit about the atomic diffuser
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use my canister filter as my diffuser
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ant good reactors I can buy? Or is my only option to build one
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
I like reactors. If you don't mind your tank looking like 7-up, atomizers are probably the best way to go. Misting is starting to look like the "best" way to enrich your tank but the hazy water isn't for everyone.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
It's kinda like how farmers enjoy watching the irrigation water dust their crops in the early morning light, I like watching the CO2 micro mist swirling around my plants. And it's an efficient method.

I run 2 canisters with an inline diffuser on each. So I don't get too much of the "7-up" effect since I can run only a trickle into each. I admit it's an expensive solution, but you get awesome distribution.

It's just preference like others have mentioned.

Making your own reactor sometimes involves guesswork. I've tried 2 differents designs and really wasn't happy with the efficiency I achieved with either. Maybe I wasn't willing to fine tune my design.

There are a few premade options you can purchase. The one that a lot of people use is the Ista Mix Max. It works well, only drawbacks being that it can be a little noisy, and more importantly, the plastic is cheap...as is the cost of the unit.

Last edited by bucky; 08-26-2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
Ant good reactors I can buy? Or is my only option to build one
I believe there are some pre-built reactors available but their costs seem very high. DIY, for me, was the way to go. There are many various videos on youtube and there is a few good threads on this forum regarding reactor construction. Building a simple reactor is not hard. Both of my reactors have additional features that add to the complexity but are not absolutely necessary.

Typically a reactor will give you 100% dissolved cO2 without any micro bubbles. As already stated, in-line diffusers can give off micro bubbles.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode