Lighting question for those of you still in school - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Lighting question for those of you still in school

I have just recently put my lights on a timer, they are on from 11:00 am to 9:15 pm. Anyways, school is about to start and my lighting schedule is probably going to have to change. What time do you have lights come on and when do you turn them off? I am so confused, and i cant think of anything that will work. by the way, I have to leave at about 7:00, and sometimes I'm not home until about 5:00. The tank has fish, so I have to feed them sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have the timer set on my 10g to come on at Noon, and go off at 10pm. I usually am available to feed them about a half hour after the lights are on, but some times I have to go into work early, and they miss their morning meal...

When I was in school I would be able to come back in between classes to feed them, or I would just feed them when school was over but I just kept the light schedule the same. Why not feed them around 5 when you get off school?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:11 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
I leave the house around 6am but part of the year there's enough light in the room that they really have no problem find the food. They get feed a couple times every evening regardless. That keeps them fat.

SteveU

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I thougt about just leaving it alone and feeding them when i got home. If the school would give us off-campus lunch like every other school in the county I would feed them then. Would it be ok to feed them only once, or should I feed them again befor lights out? The fish are small tetras, may change to small rasboras soon.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm moving soon, and I think in the new room I can put the tank so it gets enough light early in the morning, I will just have to be careful to keep it out of direct sunlight.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Algae Grower

I have cardinal tetras, I feed them once in the morning with ether freeze dried blood-worms or tetra-mini flakes. I think if I was strictly feeding them the flakes I might feed them twice a day, but when I feed them blood worms just one worm makes them as round as a beach ball, I personally think my tetras are fine with one feeding a day, helps me make sure im not over feeding
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm a ninja View Post
I'm moving soon, and I think in the new room I can put the tank so it gets enough light early in the morning, I will just have to be careful to keep it out of direct sunlight.
I was just thinking about what the rules at my school would be about fish tanks...cause its mandatory to live in their dorms for the first year...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

You're talking about college dorms, right? I've never heard of a high school with dorms.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6
I run the same lighting schedule you do. I feed mine in the evening when I get home.

[/off-rant]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to mynameisjonah
I'm in school and work unpredictable hours. So I personally feed my fish whenever I get the chance to! Don't worry about not feeding your fish right after the lights come on, is that what happens in the wild? Absolutely not. I actually think it is better for your fish if you don't keep them on a strict, feeding schedule. Random days off aren't a problem either.

Don't strive for perfection initially, but do enough research so you feel comfortable with your choices. Don't trust chain pet stores, and do your own research!

10 gallon open top betta bachelor pad.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I work during the day and go to bed at around 10 so I have my lights on from 1-9pm. That way I can enjoy watching the fish when I get home.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to snoz0r
Not in school but mine are on from noon to 8 pm. Trying to decide whether or not I should bump it up an extra 30 mins or so

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
click above for my tank journal - Eheim Pimp Club #357 - SunSun Pimp #3
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the help, I'm going to leave my lights the way they are, and feed fish whenever i get a chance.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode