New planted 29gal system - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New planted 29gal system

Hey all, I'm brand new to this forum and glad to be here. I've been reef keeping for over 10 years now but I just built my first planted system 3 days ago and I'm pretty new to most of the equipment and concepts that comes with freshwater planted tanks, but I think I have some good experience in keeping expert reefs so with some guidance I'm hoping I can make this planted system a very successful tank.

This tank is currently on day 3 and it's a 29gal standard dimension. I'm running a coralife T5HO fixture with x1 10,000k 31w and x1 6,700k 31w bulb for right now. In the tank I already have several species of plants, I currently have water wisteria, green temple, corkscrews, pink tips, and moss balls planted that I've been supplementing with flourish excel.

I do want to add co2 at some point but I really need some information if anyone has it before I jump into that. And if anyone has any tips/tricks/general knowledge on how to maintain and monitor and make the growth of plants excellent it would really be appreciated! Also if anyone has a suggestion of plants I should add that would be great as well. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1340.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	510281  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just started my first salt water tank it's a 29 gallon haha and have been keeping fresh water fir a while now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
it looks really nice! I don't run c02, I started in February.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
it looks really nice! I don't run c02, I started in February.
Thank you! I plan on really stocking this tank out with plants so I plan on injecting co2 at some point to keep up with the demands once I get more plants. Do you think the lighting I have right now is sufficient? Also I used a pretty expensive substrate but is there anything I have to keep doing to it to keep the benefits?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You have too much light to not have some co2 and EI fertilizers already. You will get green water soon with that much light. Keep the time it is on to just 3 hours then off for a couple and then 3 more hours until you get dry fertilizers, more plants and some form of co2. You could do 4 bottles of yeast/sugar DIY for a tank that size really well until you can afford to go pressurized. Excel would also help to fight algae.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode