Could I collect water from Lake Superior?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Could I collect water from Lake Superior??

I used to live in Florida and on occasion would collect 5g (for my 180g saltwater tank) from the incoming tide in the Atlantic Ocean... Not to fill the tank, but maybe to get some added benefits.

Could I collect water from Lake Superior (Great Lakes in Michigan)?? Would I get any benefit from it?? I live way way up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where not too many people venture into the water. I know Lake Superior is cold, but I would plan to heat the water up before using it.

Any suggestions??

AGA 40g Breeder, Ehiem 2233; 4 x 65w PC's; Co2 run during daytime; 100% Flourite substrate; about a dozen different tetra's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Heck, Houghton is practically in the middle of Lake Superior!

I'm sure the water is clean enough for your tanks but you still need to get an idea of the other parameters like Alkalinity, Hardness, etc. As a precaution, you may consider boiling it to keep any disease organisms from entering your tank. Is your water supply from the lake? if it is, why not use that?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
there's no more benefit than you would get from the tap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Water source is from who knows where.... It is city water so I will be treating it anyways... I don't have my RO/Di anymore, sold it in the move here.... Tap water it is..

AGA 40g Breeder, Ehiem 2233; 4 x 65w PC's; Co2 run during daytime; 100% Flourite substrate; about a dozen different tetra's.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr James View Post
Water source is from who knows where.... It is city water so I will be treating it anyways... I don't have my RO/Di anymore, sold it in the move here.... Tap water it is..
Tap is likely is extremely high grade.

No reason to take crap from elsewhere when you are the cleanest of all the lakes.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Tap is likely is extremely high grade.
Would my TDS Meter benefit me in this case??

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
you can google your local waterworks.. it'll tell you where they get the water from and the water parameters. It's a good bet they get their water from the lake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
That water up there is extremely clean, still, I suppose it might be possible to pick up diseases, especially if there are any wild fish in the vicinity.

Of course you would want to mindful of other parameters in addition to water such as pH and hardness and adjust if necessary.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
why would you do this
I also live on the side of the GREAT lake but heck the water is great right out of the tap.
btw
I have had swimmers itch from the lake so it can harbour some nasty crap

under stock
over filter
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you drink the water from a natural body of water, no matter which one it is, you stand a very big risk of picking up a vicious parasite that can kill you if the resultant diarrhea isn't treated. If you drink the water from your kitchen sink faucet, no matter where in the USA you live, you stand almost no risk of any harm being done as a result. Which is likely to be the better water for an aquarium, a very unnatural body of water?

Hoppy
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Is VHS (viral hemorrhagic septicemia) present in Lake Superior yet? If so that's a big reason to not use the lake water - VHS is a nasty fish disease! You aren't supposed to transport water/weeds/live fish away from lakes where the disease is detected to help minimize its spread.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
MR jame ..you must lived right next to the lake, a beach house? if not why bother to do that , tap water is our best friend when it come to fresh , but i'll do RO for salt though. even salt i wont even take any water from the ocean and put in my tank , same as rock from the ocean , dont know how many hitchhikers can come with it .!!

VICTOR PIMP #45: HPT270B-250
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

When I lived in Palm Coast, Florida, I collected water from the Ponce Inlet. This water I collected was not to fill the tank, rather to collect any traces of plankton, which were good for my corals. I don't think I saw a noticeable difference. Collecting NSW (Natural Sea Water) also helped to stabilize my water parameters. I only collected it a few times as I (formerly a Michigan resident) had watched Jaws one too many times and was a bit nervous wading out in the surf alone.

Not being a freshwater guy, I had wondered if collect Lake water was beneficial. It sounds like the safer bet is tap water. I received my bulkhead today and will plug the hole in the back of the tank once used for saltwater (overflow leading into the sump). Once the hole is plugged, I plan to start filling the tank with tap water.

Then I will have more questions and look for answers here!!

Thanks folks!!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
http://www.cityofhoughton.com/docume...eport_2009.pdf

Seems they get it from a well vs Lake, lower bacteria I suppose.
Soda ash and permangnate will cause the pH to go up, and adds a strong oxidizer to preciptate the Fe and Mn out.

Seems getting lake water might be better, but who knows........
Call and ask them for the full report, mostly KH/GH.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode