Snail Situation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
Snail Situation

Once again, I turn to you (O learned forum members) for help and advice. I'm setting up a new tank which currently has only plants in it. Well, that's not exactly true- although each plant received a 15-20 min. bath in a strong potassium permanganate solution, apparently some snail eggs made it through that, and I've been removing little brown snailies (not many, just a few) from the glass as fast as they appear. I really, really don't want any of these guys in my new tank (although I plan to get a couple of nerites as part of the "cleaning crew") and since the other inhabitants (coming from my old tank) will include some shrimp, I don't want to add loaches or puffers to the tank to eradicate them. I'm hoping for suggestions for action I can take prior to moving my existing creatures into the tank (which I was hoping to do this weekend) that will wipe them out without harming the plants or ruining the environment for my fish and shrimp. I'm considering lots of salt followed by lots of water changing, or perhaps the "Had-a-Snail" chemical option (also followed by massive water changes) but (having never tried either before) was hoping someone else had dealt with this problem in a safe and effective way that I'm unaware of. As always, thanks in advance for your kind assistance-

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So nobody has any advice? Or am I dealing with a bunch of slimy snail lovers? Seriously though, even if you don't know a better method than the two I'm considering, any comments on the feasibility/advisability of either method would be much appreciated-
Val
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
give it some time not many people on in the morning.

i'm in the same boat as you and i'm thinking about had-a-snail but i'm not sure if the toxicity will affect my shrimp in any way.
maybe you could work out a deal with your lfs. you could buy a loach and "use him" for a little while and then return him for some credit.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would stay away from salt and/or had-a-snail.

Salt can harm the plants and had-a-snail I believe contains copper, so its best to avoid it. I would bait them. Place a piece of zucchini or cucumber in your tank. Soften first in a cup of water in the microwave. Right after you turn the lights on in the morning you can pull it out and it should be covered with snails. Do this for a few days and they should be all gone.

If you have very soft and acidic water, snails can't form their shells. What are your parameters? Perhaps you could lower them for the time being if you don't like the idea of baiting them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:41 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
I pick out the ones big enough to pick up. The real small ones I can't get a hold of on the glass just get smashed. I see people say it's from over feeding but the 20g with the snail problem has nothing but plants in it, no fish or inverts.

SteveU
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Feral- thanks for the advice, I really don't want to go with the salt or the chemicals, but the bait method seems like a maybe I'll get them all/maybe I won't sort of proposition. (I'm sure there's a mouse out there somewhere that doesn't like cheese.) If I do the bait method and just one snail doesn't go for it I'll be back in the same situation pretty soon, and by that time there'll be fish and shrimp in there to worry about.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you have time and there are absolutely no other animals in the tank, you can try ammonia bombing the tank. Many snails have a somewhat higher tolerance to ammonia than fish, but see how they cope with 10+ ppm.

Takes about a month and doesn't hurt your plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Algae Grower

Very true. Using bait you may never get them all. But you can keep their numbers down.

I use this method on my tank now that contains shrimp. The shrimp usually stick to the moss anyway, and my bristelnose pleco just moves out of the way when I pic up the bait full of snails. They all nibble on the bait, but the plecos and shrimp leave the bait when I go to pick it up, the snails cling on for dear life.

Its not the perfect solution, but its one that you can use all the time.

I'm not sure if this will work but is it possible to overdose with ammonia? Then you would technically be "re-cycling" your tank. You might want to get another opinion before you try peeing* in your tank, or however you choose to get ammonia in your tank

*I do not condone the peeing in of ones' tank
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
try ammonia bombing the tank.

Beat me to it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
*I do not condone the peeing in of ones' tank
lmao

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode