Plants with air pump - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants with air pump

So I'm stuck here. Early on I had some great plants. I started the tank with plants only, I then added a couple gold fish, a month later I added a number of different fish. The fish weren't doing to well, so a friend suggested that I add an airfilter. This brought the fish back. Of course now the plants aren't surviving. I even tried a unit that creates a current and eliminated the air filter. The fish didn't like that either.

So now the only thing I can think is to get plants that can live with an air filter. So my question is what plants do you suggest to get that would thrive in those conditions.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
A lot more info is needed. By air filter are you referring to a filter that works using a air pump like a box filter that goes inside you tank? A filter like this does not adversely affect plants. I use them in a lot of my planted breeding and grow out tanks.

What size it the tank? What kind and how much light. What kinds of fish other than gold fish? How many fish? What kinds of plants. What are you water parameters, PH, nitrites, nitrates, hardness? Sounds like you have something going on other than a filter issue.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
A lot more info is needed. By air filter are you referring to a filter that works using a air pump like a box filter that goes inside you tank? A filter like this does not adversely affect plants. I use them in a lot of my planted breeding and grow out tanks.

What size it the tank? What kind and how much light. What kinds of fish other than gold fish? How many fish? What kinds of plants. What are you water parameters, PH, nitrites, nitrates, hardness? Sounds like you have something going on other than a filter issue.

Sorry for the delayed response time. By air filter I mean, box that sits outside the tank that sends air through a hose into the tank.

The tank size is a 25 gallon tank. Fish are: The Plecostomus Catfish, 3 different kinds of Tertras, and a couple of catfish. Plants, all I have left is Micro swords and Aponogeton distachyos. The PH is around a 9. I'll need to do another reading for the other 2, been a while since I did that. However, seeing the plants thrive, (and the fish not) when I turn off the air was very obvious.

Thanks

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Algae Grower

So like an air pump feeding an air stone/curtain/etc? Won't the surface agitation from the air bubbles reduce CO2 concentration in the water = poor for plants but good for fish. Heck I'm taking a stab in the dark, I'm no expert.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
it would if he were injecting co2 to get the ppm of co2 to rise it would cause the excess amounts of co2 to off gas. but in a situation where its not being injected it wouldn't make a difference
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarHarms View Post
So like an air pump feeding an air stone/curtain/etc? Won't the surface agitation from the air bubbles reduce CO2 concentration in the water = poor for plants but good for fish. Heck I'm taking a stab in the dark, I'm no expert.

That's the kind, and yes exactly the problem I'm having. Someone (long time ago) once told me that there are certain plants that can live under these conditions. Just don't know which ones.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
it would if he were injecting co2 to get the ppm of co2 to rise it would cause the excess amounts of co2 to off gas. but in a situation where its not being injected it wouldn't make a difference
So if I got a co2 system, that would bring the plants back? Will that affect the fish?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Something else is going on. If you can, post a pic of your tank, and list all of the equipment, type of substrate--anything you do to the tank. How often do you do water changes?

65 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I wouldnt think that you would benefit much from the CO2 if you continue to aerate the tank with your pump. You mentioned goldfish in your first post, but they aren't mentioned in your "stock" in post 3. If they are still in the tank how big are they?

Also, ammonia is supposed to have a much stronger effect the higher the pH rises, maybe this has something to do with the fish's behavior.

<Insert epic signature here>

~Devin
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid creole View Post
Something else is going on. If you can, post a pic of your tank, and list all of the equipment, type of substrate--anything you do to the tank. How often do you do water changes?
I'll see what I can do on the pic. Regarding water change, I was told not to do big water changes. What I do is, clean the filter (Eheim filter) every 2-3 weeks and refill the filter with clean water. Also when the water drops, I use a 64 oz cup with a hole and a drip to refill. I add discuss buffer and Neutral regulator each time I add water and clean the filter.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinWolfe View Post
I wouldnt think that you would benefit much from the CO2 if you continue to aerate the tank with your pump. You mentioned goldfish in your first post, but they aren't mentioned in your "stock" in post 3. If they are still in the tank how big are they?

Also, ammonia is supposed to have a much stronger effect the higher the pH rises, maybe this has something to do with the fish's behavior.
Sorry, the goldfish as well. I have one, he's about 3" in length.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

if you're putting clean tap water into your eheim or if you're rinsing your filter pads the same way, you could be killing your biofilter. chlorinated water will wipe it out. as far as your fish not doing good. i think you might be kinda overstocked. a common pleco can grow to about a foot. with a large bioload and wiping out your beneficial bacteria, you're prob experiencing mini cycles everytime you change your water.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
if you're putting clean tap water into your eheim or if you're rinsing your filter pads the same way, you could be killing your biofilter. chlorinated water will wipe it out. as far as your fish not doing good. i think you might be kinda overstocked. a common pleco can grow to about a foot. with a large bioload and wiping out your beneficial bacteria, you're prob experiencing mini cycles everytime you change your water.
Makes sense, although the fish are thriving now. It's only when I pull the plug on the air pump the fish suffer.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

what kind of filter do you have?
what kind of plants died off on you. i can't think of any plant that would die just because there is an airstone in there. what do you have for light? i bet thats the issue. prob high light plants in a low light tank.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
It probably isn't the air-pump I run air-filters in most of my planted tanks even with finicky plants. More than likely it's ether not enough light, not enough fertilizer (plant food), wrong type of plants, or a combination of all of the above.

- Brad

Proud member of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode