Regulator Trouble, Help Me!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Regulator Trouble, Help Me!!!!

I have a Milwaukee Regulator. I can't get the working pressure to come down. I opened the valve and i'm at 750 psi on thee big gauge and the lower gauge ot is at 130 and i cant get it down to 10 - 15. I screw the know thing and it only goes that low before coming lose and falling off. Or you can go the other way and the working pressure goes up higher and higher but the knob goes back on tighter. I'm scared to mess with this thing. How do I lower it? Should I just screw the knob on tighter and ignore the lower gauge? Then once tightened alot start going back down? Please help, i am trying to set this up now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)

Last edited by PRSRocker3390; 08-13-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i am NOT touching that anymore. I just scared the s*** out of myself and i'm shaking. I closed the main valve of the co2 cylinder and the main gauge still said 750 psi. But i figured it was closed so it is safe. Well i proceeded to tighten the adjustment knob so i can then loosen it up to a low working pressure before the knob came off. Well i did that and the working pressure gauge was still going up till it maxed and a LOUD screech came out and deafened me for a moment. The scariest thing ever. I dont know what i'm doing but this pressurized stuff is scaring me.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

the higher gauge after the scream now with the cylinder valve closed says 0 psi and the lower gauge says the working pressure is 115 psi. I hope I didnt mess anything up big time.

Also the water is out of my bubble counter. How do I open it and safely add more water?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is your needle valve open some or closed ? also is your solenoid on?

all you have to do to add more fluid to the bubble counter is unscrew the big brass cap and pour some water in if that's what you use.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My solenoid is off, the main cylinder valve is closed. I dont know how to tell if the needle valve is opened or closed and same goes for the adjustment knob. Even though all is like this it says 0 psi on the higher gauge and 115 psi as my working pressure on the lower gauge. I need to refill my bubble counter and get this thing going ASAP. I need a lot of help!

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSRocker3390 View Post
I have a Milwaukee Regulator. I can't get the working pressure to come down. I opened the valve and i'm at 750 psi on thee big gauge and the lower gauge ot is at 130 and i cant get it down to 10 - 15. I screw the know thing and it only goes that low before coming lose and falling off. Or you can go the other way and the working pressure goes up higher and higher but the knob goes back on tighter. I'm scared to mess with this thing. How do I lower it?
Screwing the big knob counterclockwise will lower the working pressure. Screwing it on clockwise will increase the working pressure.

Quote:
Should I just screw the knob on tighter and ignore the lower gauge?
No, you should not screw the knob tighter. You should screw it looser.

Quote:
i am NOT touching that anymore. I just scared the s*** out of myself and i'm shaking. I closed the main valve of the co2 cylinder and the main gauge still said 750 psi. But i figured it was closed so it is safe.
If the main gauge still reads 750 PSI after you shut off the valve on the CO2 tank, there is still pressure that the regulator is holding back.

Quote:
Well i proceeded to tighten the adjustment knob so i can then loosen it up to a low working pressure before the knob came off. Well i did that and the working pressure gauge was still going up till it maxed and a LOUD screech came out and deafened me for a moment. The scariest thing ever. I dont know what i'm doing but this pressurized stuff is scaring me.
You just blew the delivery pressure (working pressure) gauge.

Quote:
the higher gauge after the scream now with the cylinder valve closed says 0 psi and the lower gauge says the working pressure is 115 psi. I hope I didnt mess anything up big time.
As I mentioned, your low pressure gauge is blown.

Quote:
Also the water is out of my bubble counter. How do I open it and safely add more water?
You have to ensure that both gauges read 0 before adding more water (or better yet, mineral oil or glycerin) to your counter.

[quote=PRSRocker3390;891687]My solenoid is off, the main cylinder valve is closed. I dont know how to tell if the needle valve is opened or closed and same goes for the adjustment knob.
The needle valve should work on the same principle as the regular valve (though it might be the opposite way...)

Adjustment knobs, however, are the same. Clockwise will increase the working pressure, while counter clockwise will decrease the working pressure.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i'm so frustrated. Can I replace that gauge? Now I dont have diy or pressurized. I can never leave well enough alone.

The problem is as I was lowering the pressure by turning counterclockwise the knob would unscrew off before it even lowered to 110 psi.

The lower gauge still has a reading of 115 psi while the higher gauge reads 0.

I am really mad at myself.

EDIT: Now I'm just scared to touch the regulator. The main cylinder valve is closed but I am very afraid of me blowing something major and the cylinder like blows up or something. Might sound crazy but this is my first experience with pressurized and it is not a good one

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Algae Grower

bleed all of the pressure out of the gauges and start from scratch. Get some loc-tite and put it on the screw for the low pres. gauge. Let it dry. or turn off the cylinder and tighten the adj. knob down with no pressure in the gauges. You may be able to tighten the adj. knob that way. I wouoldnt imagine the gauge is blown.It has a working pressure of a 140psi. and is designed to be able to take a little more before failure. Dont worry! It wont blow up!!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

how do i get all the pressure out of the gauges?

EDIT: Also, If anyone is available to walk me through how to get this thing running right now, I will be on aol instant messenger. My screenname is PRSRocker3390 on there as well. I will be on now and probably very late in the night. Give me an IM if anyone is up to it.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Algae Grower

Just open up your needle valve. The low pressure gauge will go to zero. Of coarse turn the cylinder off as well
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 02:54 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Another satisfied Milwaukee regulator customer. ...

Left C

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post

Left C
Before I really dug in, I had thought the Milwaukee regulators were very good. I had nearly purchased the equipment before reading some posts like this one. Glad I went with something from GLA.

Eheim Pimp #381
Raleigh Aquarium Society Member
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 03:46 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post

Left C
I know I was satisfied

-Chris

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It is very likely that the working pressure gage, the one that still reads 110 psi, is ruined. Milwaukee regulators will almost always destroy that gage if you open the CO2 bottle valve without first removing the adjustment knob from the regulator, to be sure it is set at zero pressure output. The sudden blast of pressure to that gage will either bend the needle or otherwise shift its position so the gage no longer works. I would say just replace the gage, but Milwaukee installs them using a 300 pound mechanic with a sledge hammer - in other words they are screwed on very, very, very tightly, and are very hard to remove. If it isn't coming thru, I don't like Milwaukee regulators.

Hoppy
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:04 AM
Algae Grower

Through IM's I was able to give him a hand. The regulator is fine. Both gauges are working properly. He now just has a leak at the bottom of his bubble counter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode