high tech planted vs. nano reef - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
high tech planted vs. nano reef

Right now, i just do not know what to do with my high tech 10g. It currently has a 36W light (half 5600K and half 10000K), and Eheim 2213, and DIY CO2, and i've put a lot of money and effort into it. But the problem is that its a huge pain to maintain. I can never get enough CO2 with my DIY set up, so some plants just die and some grow up to 3 or 4" every day. And there are also huge algae blooms at random times, and i've gassed my fish to death once or twice.

So here is what i could do: either turn it into a full high-tech tank with pressurized CO2, so all i'd have to do to maintain is trim, or i could turn it into a nano reef*** (or just take the tank down completely *gasp*). Either way, it would cost $200-300, but either way it would be massively less work then it is now, and it would look much better.

So i am wondering who here has had a nano reef or a really high tech tank, and what the pros and cons of each would be. Which would be easier to take care of? Which would have the most potential to be a really beautiful tank in something as small as 10g? I am really in a pickle here, because the tank just cannot keep going in the direction that it is. Thank you!

***being the planted tank forums, you will probably say to keep it planted, but try not to look at it that way.

Wilson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
IMO there's not much difference in required time between a planted tank and a reef tank to keep either looking the way I'd like. That of course is if tank sizes were equal. My only reason for jumping of the SW bandwagon was the cost of power was considerably more for my reef. May have been able to correct that with some equipment and light changes but after nearly 20 years of SW I felt it was time to move on.

SteveU
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I don't think it costs $300 to go pressurized.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6
I have bought TWO pressurized systems for less than $300. Shop around and you should be able to get a decent full system for about $150.

[/off-rant]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
I have both... it costs less than $200 for pressurized, and much, much more than $300 to stock a nano-reef (you can start one for less, but that's merely equipment.

Adding pressurized means much less issues & non-fun maintenance (algae, plants dying, etc) and more fun time (trimming and watching). All of your complaints are due to too high of light for the co2 system you are running. Fixing that is the obvious solution, or reducing your light. Aside: I wouldn't consider a tank running DIY co2 'high tech.'

Maintaining a nano reef is about the same amount of work if not more, especially if you don't pony up and get lots of stuff automated like ATO and dosing, but that will cost considerably more $. If you are doing it 'on the cheap', then you'll have the same complaints about an unsuccessful reef tank (algae and corals dying) in a few months as you currently have about planted.

My $.02
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If the goal is less work and $$, cut down on lighting and go low tech.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
ohhh i forgot that with a nano reef i'd have to do dosing and stuff. thatd be a pain.

so if i have to go pressurized, where can i find a really cheap system that works well? my LFS sells press. systems, but they cost $250.

also, my tank was sorta high tech because i had like 5L of DIY CO2 and really high light. it was still kinda lame though.

Wilson

- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
you don't have to go low-tech....
limit your photo period to say 6-7 hours. Let's call it mid-tech. 36W isn't insanely high for a 10G. You can raise your light up a few inches to lower the intensity on the tank of the lights too.

You are dosing nutrients right? In addition to your DIY CO2, you can add excel too.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you want to go high tech it will be less than $300.
CO2 tank: $56
Regulator, bubble counter and reactor: $146+$23+$9.50

Total:~$234
Can go even less if you go with cheaper regulators(I use Milwaukee brand which is ~$100 w/ solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode