Setting up my first planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Setting up my first planted tank

Over the past few months I've been interested in having a planted tank and recently decided to set up a 12 gallon long (only the tank has been purchased so far). I wanted to share my prospective setup, ask some questions, and hopefully get some advice.

Equipment:
Tank: Mr Aqua 12 Gallon Long
Light: Current Satellite LED Plus 36"
Filter: SunSun HW-302 (265 GPH) or HW-603B (105 GPH); which filter is the better fit for a 12 gallon long?
Substrate: 9-12L ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (Normal grain, maybe some powder as a top layer)
Heater: Will a heater be necessary? Stock list below.
CO2: Paintball Co2 Injection DIY; I've read through a lot of JaggedFury's thread and it looks like it's possible to set up a serviceable system for around $60; esentially the items sold here plus a pressurized tank. What would be the recommended BPS for a medium to heavily planted 12 gallon long? I've also read a bit about injecting CO2 into or near the canister filter inlet or with an inline diffuser; what are the pros and cons of this method versus a diffuser in the tank?
Hardscape: Most likely Seiryu or similar stone, maybe driftwood if I manage to find a piece I like.
Lily Pipes: Will most likely get a CalAqua X1 and F2 in the future

Fauna (quantity is a rough estimate):
12 Celestial Pearl Danios
3 Bamboo Shrimp
10-15 Dwarf Shrimp (undecided on the type)
5 Tiger Nerites
3 Asian Stone Catfish

Flora:
Currently unsure on the plants, it won't be anything out of the ordinary though, and I'd like it to be pretty heavily planted. My decision will partially depend on the hardscape materials that I end up using. I'd like the tank to be fairly heavily planted and will probably have a carpeting plant like HC, Monte Carlo, or Marsilea minuta (most likely will use the dry start method).

Dosing Fertilizer:
I'm still a bit confused about where (and what) to buy as far as dry ferts go. Is it even necessary or is it just a personal preference? Below are some numbers pulled (and adjusted for volume) from the dosing regimes thread:

50% H20 change-weekly
1/8 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/32 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1/4 Tsp-GH booster once a week
2ml-Trace 3x a week
Optional: 1ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

- I know that KNO3 and KH2PO4 are available by the pound from http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/. Is it okay to just buy them there?
- Is Seachem Equilibrium okay to use as a GH booster or is there something more highly recommended?
- Does "Trace" refer to Seachem Trace?

I'm new to planted tanks so I doubt that all my information is accurate. Am I missing anything? Any advice or criticism about any information in the post (equipment, flora and fauna, etc.) is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Adelz; 08-23-2015 at 05:57 AM. Reason: correcting phrase

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode