HHHEEELLLLPPP emergancy!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
HHHEEELLLLPPP emergancy!!

OMG im freakin out here... ok so ive had cloudy water for the past couple of days.. my tank is about a month and a half old, just introduced plants a week ago. I have zebra danios, neons, ghost shrimp and bamboo shrimp. I have a 20/25 gallon tank with 2 27 watt CFL bulbs. All tank parameters are normal.

So as i said ive had simi cloudy water for about 2 or 3 days now, just thought it was a bactiria bloom. Well i turned lights out for ohhh about 3 or 4 hours tonight, and turned them back on cause i noticed a plant floating and im kinda anal about that stuff... well much to my suprize, my tank looked totatly different

First off, i have white specs on my glass, dont know if its hydra, or rotifers. as they are ALSO on my BAMBOO SHRIMP... those are my fav in the tank and i hope it is not hurting them. How can i get this off of my shrimp? sorry no pics, my camera cant take clear enough ones, but it is white, and has a stem and a bell looking thing on the end of it.

Second, i found one of my 2 oto's dead, and bloated, extreamly bloated. If he ate this stuff, is this what caused his death? I also found one of my danios with NO MOUTH? WTH....it was just a big hole were is jaw should have been. Not suprizingly he was not doing to well, very inactive.

Third, my tetras look very glazed over, and one of them has this white stuff grownig on him.. not in spots, but is this ich? I am sooooo fusterated right now. It amazes me that all this happend in a matter of hours, and with lights out, should i keep them on..
PPPLLLEEEAAAZZEEEE any help...: help:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Pictures would really help. A blurry picture might be better than no picture at all.

It kind of sounds like what happened to my 85 gallon about a year ago. Those same little white branch things with the "bell" started appearing everywhere, and i couldn't get it under control, so i had to break down the tank, throw all the plants out, and boil whatever i thought might be salvageable. It also appeared on my cardinal tetras.

I don't think this whole thing happened within 4 hours. It probably started somewhere that you didn't see and maybe without the light it quickly spread. I'm honestly not sure what you can do at the moment, but i'm sure a big water change would probably help (maybe 50%, or more?). Try taking out all the infected fish, put them in a quarantine tank and find something to treat them with. Keep the light off. Raising the temperature a few degrees may also help.

The oto's death may have been caused by something he ate, but again i'm not sure. Sounds like the tetras may have ich, make sure to treat them asap before it gets worse. Here is a link i found about freshwater ich.

Sorry i couldn't help more! You may have to wait until the morning to get a good answer from someone more knowledgeable.

AzFishKid
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok so i did a 50 chage, that halped clear up the water. no other deaths, although a few fish were bloated, so i gave peas. My main concern now are the shrimps, they still have this stuff on them, and they are my favorite, and most expensive things in the tank.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
The only real way to help is by seeing a pic. If they are white specs that look like sugar it could be ick. Are these white specs swimming? Really need a pic.

Current Tank Journals:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:46 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
Have no clue what the white things are. The cloudy water could be a bacterial bloom which caused O2 levels to drop and kill some of the fish. Can't think of any disease or parasite that would take chunks from your Danio's mouth in just a few hours. The tank being only six weeks old could be a contributing factor.
I'm never sure what people mean when they say all tank parameters are normal.

SteveU
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The shrimp will probably be fine. The fish and the white bloom are more of a concern. I'd do lots of water changes, say 50% every 3 days for a while, while quarantining the fish and trying to treat them. Scrape what evr it is off the glass and vacuum the tank at each water change. It is going to take some time to clear whatever this is up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:29 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
sounds like ick to me, raise your tanks slowly somewhere above 85 for a few days to kill the ick and keep an eye on your tanks temp better
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Algae Grower

I also have some in my tank... to describe it, it looks like a hydra, fingers are web together giving the ends a bell almost round shape. I have alot of these on the glass.

I figure that these where killing my ghost shrimp after the 3rd one died, i scouted my tank and saw these white 1mm in size hydra things in the corner of my tank.

so im wondering whats the best solution the getting rid of these...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode