Growing plants awards program explanation please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Martin
Growing plants awards program explanation please

Hi all.

I really like the idea behind the 'growth program' I see in many clubs in the states..

But the concept eludes me..
I mean, how does it work..
How do you get people involved
what sentiments do people have?

Can someone sit me down and explain the whole thing in nice round words... :-)

85G ; 6x54W T5 ATI Powermodule
Co2 via 6Kg bottle ; Milwaukee SMS122 Co2 controller ; Co2 reactor
Flourite RED
_
¾ tsp KNO3 3x week
¼ tsp KH2PO4 3x week
¼ tsp K2SO4 1x week
20ml CSM+B 3x week
50% W/c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 05:51 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
I assume you're talking about plant "clubs" or "societies"
People get together and talk about setting up aquariums, plants, experiences, fish, and trade/ sell plants that they have grown.

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yes.

But clubs have growth award programs..
and breeding programs..

Where people try and grow a certain plant.. to gain points? awards?

I'm not asking for an explanation of what a club is..

Flourite RED
_
¾ tsp KNO3 3x week
¼ tsp KH2PO4 3x week
¼ tsp K2SO4 1x week
20ml CSM+B 3x week
50% W/c

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 05:55 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Oh, sorry. I misunderstood you. I have never heard of a plant growth program.

-Chris

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
I haven't either. Maybe its a denmark thing?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi.

No, it isn't.. that's the problem...
well not problem..

something here:

http://www.aquarium.mn/main/index.ph...157&Itemid=123

and here:_

http://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.co...wards_HAP.html

all american

Flourite RED
_
¾ tsp KNO3 3x week
¼ tsp KH2PO4 3x week
¼ tsp K2SO4 1x week
20ml CSM+B 3x week
50% W/c
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Yes, many clubs have awards programs in place. It encourges people to stretch and grow in their hobby and rewards them for their success. This helps the hobby in the long run.

I can't speak to how other clubs work but I belong to the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association and we have programs for breeding fish and growing aquatic plants. BAP - Breeders awards program and HAP - Horticulturists awards program. Basically there is a point system set up for each species of fish and each species of aquatic plant. With the fish we have to bring in at least 5 of the fry along with a data sheet on the breeding and place the fish in a auction we have at the end of each meeting. With the plants we have to bring in a quanity of the plant species that we have propogated along with a data sheet and place them in the auction. We then recieve the points for those species. At predetermined levels of points we receive a plaque for our accomplishments. Because of these programs we have a lot of different species of fish and plants being raised and grown by our club members. We have fish and plants that you will never see in a LFS and because there are so many of us trying to acheive these goals a lot of the fish and plants are pretty plentiful and therefore we can get them at the auction much cheaper than at a LFS. For example, at our meeting last week I picked up two bags of fish for $5 a bag. The first was 11 adult hemichromis lifalili (jewel cichilids) and the second was 9 adult Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow labs).

There are also a couple of other ways we can accumulate points. We can submit articles for our monthly newsletter or we can provide a talk for our monthly meeting. You can see how these programs increase the knowledge base of a large group of people and help promote and grow the hobby. With all this breeding and growing going on we also hold a day long auction twice a year where you can pick up some really great deals on fish and plants.

Here is a link to our homepage. Click on the BAP and HAP links at the top of the page and it will give greater detail of the programs.
http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
The BAP is generally much more popular than plant's HAP's in most societies.

HAP is really who brings in lots of plants to the auctions.....that's more what they care, rather than how did you breed this one species of fish.

Plants all grow pretty much for the same similar reasons, some are a bit easier than others etc, but overall, the plant growing is not as hard.

Fish require a certain number to breed often times, plants grow asexually, few on this or any list have EVER done sexual breeding of plants, it's nothing but clones.

Compared to breeding fish (BAP), it's(HAP) like buying a fish and growing it up 2-3x it's size from being a fry and calling it the same thing.

It's not, most can grow a fish, fewer can breed them.
So they are not equivalent IMO/IME.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
The BAP is generally much more popular than plant's HAP's in most societies.
While I would certainly agree with this, I would have to add that our association up until recently was primarilary a "fish" club. In the last year or so the number of planted tanks members has grown dramatically. Due to this the HAP program is becoming very popular and a lot of fish only people have become interested in plants also.

Not so sure I would agree entirely with HAP being that different than BAP. Probably is somewhat easier to get points for plants. With the HAP program you shouldn't be growing out plants and bringing them to auction. You should have to be proprogating new plants to submit. I can throw a couple of guppies in a tank and have BAP points in no time with little effort and I can plant some stems of Ludwigia in a tank and in a couple of weeks have cutting proprogated for points. On the other hand there are fish that have a lot more requirments as you suggested and there are also plants that are not as easy to proprogate and take considerable more time. For the fish you may have to work with water temp, ph, hardness ect to get them to breed and with the plant you may have to work with light, Co2 and ferts to get it to proprogate. If you are in a established club having the right number of fish shouldn't be a big issue. There are always fish available to get the right numbers.

From a personal standpoint both of these programs provide me with some valuable resources. Atlanta has a very limited number of aquatic stores. The nature of the programs means I have the ability to get plants and fish that I would not normally find locally and we have a growing large base of members that have excellent first hand experience that I can learn from. In the long run the hobby is enriched.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode