CO2 Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
CO2 Question

A couple questions of pressurized co2. I am setting up pressurized for the first time and I wanted to know if when using a solenoid and turning the co2 off at night, will this cause ph swings? Will it harm the fish? Cause right now I have diy and that is always on obviously. Just curious about this.

Next question...I also have a newly set up nano (5 gallons). The pressurized cylinder is 5lb and is being used for my 20 gallon with a milwaukee regulator? Is there an easy way to also deliver co2 to the 5 gallon using co2 gang valve? How and where in correspondence to the regulator and cylinder do i connect it?

Last question, instead of using an internal fluval filter for diffusion (because its an eyesore with it being on the bottom corner with a cord going in the tank), would it be just as good to use a powerhead like an aquaclear on the top of the tank and just point the flow downward to diffuse the co2? I just think it would look better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
I used an Aquaclear powerhead to diffuse before switching to an internal filter. I had pretty good results but had to buy a Koralia powerhead for some extra water movement anyway so, I added a Hagen Elite mini underneath the powerhead and found that it accomplished both needs a lot better. I know it's ugly but I can't argue with the difference in diffusion. With such a small tank though, I'm thinking you should be fine diffusing through a powerhead. I had to get more water movement so, it wasn't adequate enough for the size of my tank.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co...splitters.html
you unscrew your needle valve and screw this manifold in in its place.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

also i noticed in your post that you have an aquaclear hob. surface agitation causes co2 to leave your tank. i would use your fluval
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

Disregard my previous post, somehow I missed that the Aquaclear you were referring to was an HOB so my post doesn't apply.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have an aquaclear hob but i was referring to buying an aquaclear powerhead for example. I'm a little confused now lol. I have an aquaclear 50 for filtration and a fluval 1 plus for co2 diffusion. I was talking about replacing the fluval 1 plus for a powerhead in means of diffusion and wanted to know if the results would be better. Sorry for this confusion lol

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

oh i see what your saying. i thought that the fluval was a canister. i personally dont like to diffuse co2 like that. i like reactors. when you diffuse with a powerhead you get little bubbles everywhere and thats not for me.

i was just letting you know that your hob filter isnt good for co2 in your tank.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I don't mind bubbles everywhere, kinda looks cool to me. Fish seem to love it too. I know they dont recommend hob filters with co2 but mine is great and my co2 levels are pretty good with diy. My pressurized levels should only get better than what i have now and much more stable.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ok, I think I'm clear now and I say, give the powerhead a try. As I said in my previous post, I thought it was a good method of diffusion.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6
Turning the CO2 off at night prevents a buildup of excess CO2 and lessens any pH swing. The thing is at night your plants switch from photosynthesis to respiration and actually take in oxygen and expel CO2. If you couple this with the injected CO2 you can have significantly higher CO2 levels at night. Turning off the CO2 removes one of the sources of CO2 build up.

[/off-rant]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode