conversion from saltwater - how to clean? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
conversion from saltwater - how to clean?

I am converting my 125gal from saltwater to planted tank. I was feeling realy excited about getting the conversion done this past weekend, but I found the coraline algea to be a huge cleaning obstacle. I tried vinegar then phosphoric acid and nothing softened the coraline aglae. So I was scraping each piece off with a scraper, and then a little was still left that wouldn't scrape off (like a film). I spent hours and got maybe 1/10 of it off. But I was able to soak the powerheads in vinegar and get them clean very quickly.

I certainly can't tip this huge tank on it's side to let the coraline soak in vinegar, so what are my options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
if you can get your hands on some muriatic or hydrochloric that might do the trick, but you're still gonna have to scrape. And there may be some etching of the glass that never comes clean. But, why cant you tip it on its side??? Its not that HUGE of a tank, its certainly movable! haha
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Depending on what type of aquarium you want, you could just leave it there. It will harden the water somewhat but over time, the algae will dissolve into the water and be gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I wonder if you can just use glass polishing/buffering paste to buffer that stuff off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I remember when we first got the huge thing that it took three guys to get it into my house. And then I am worried about leaving it sit on it's side on the stand because of the edges of the stand, the load bearing would be uneven around the glass. And if I put it on the floor, that is back breaking to lift that thing to and from the ground.

Has anyone just left the coraline algea in the tank and seen what results they got with water parameters? How long would it take to dissolve? Forever? Could it also spike the ammonia?

I might try the mieratic acid.....
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:05 PM
GTR
Banned

Scraping with a blade is ok but I wouldn't do too much rubbing where the undissolved coralline might scratch the glass.

SteveU
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are you sure this is a 125? Or were you having 3 really weak guys help you??? lol Ive worked with and handled and moved MANY large tanks. I have moved 210's with just 2 people, and several 125's. Its heavy sure, but its not THAT heavy. Im not trying to call you out or anything like that, im just wondering if maybe the tank is bigger than you think, or not actually as heavy as you think it is? 2 people who are in mediocre shape at best should be able to pick that up and put it on the floor fairly easily. And i think thats the only way any kind of acid has a chance of working. There wont be anything that you can just apply and have that coraline algae wipe right off. Your only chance is keeping it wet with whatever you end up using. And then still scraping. But your angle of attack and leverage will be MUCH better when you can stand over the top of it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:14 PM
GTR
Banned

I'd want to have it outside where I could give it a good bath afterwards, especially if I used acids.

SteveU
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
you could allways saturate a paper towel of toilet paper with the acid so you dont have to tilt the tank. just stick the TP right up on the glass
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Visionquest28,

I am wondering if you are a well muscled, good looking guy. Can I see a picture? And yes, I do feel that you are questioning the strength of the men in my life, or maybe the ambition.... I never lifted the tank, so I have no idea how heavy it is. Should I ask again if the tank can be brought all the way outside!? Or will the tank then become an obstacle in my love life......

I will ask...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
well its CaCO3 deposits, so any acid will do the trick, the lower the ph, the faster it will work. if you can get you hands on some strong acids (sulfuric, hydrochloric, etc.) you could use a spray bottle to soak the sides, and then do that every few hours. after a few days it should be visibly less. but if you could put it on its side and cover it with a thin layer, then that would be ideal.

but if you plan on doing a high tech tank with CO2, then your ph should be bellow 7, and that will dissolve it over a few monthes (like in a reefs calcium reactor).

or try a really sharp razor blade.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonjager View Post
Visionquest28,

I am wondering if you are a well muscled, good looking guy. Can I see a picture? And yes, I do feel that you are questioning the strength of the men in my life, or maybe the ambition.... I never lifted the tank, so I have no idea how heavy it is. Should I ask again if the tank can be brought all the way outside!? Or will the tank then become an obstacle in my love life......

I will ask...
LOL, im not sure how much of that is a joke and how much is serious??? But, i may or may not fit into those catergories, not for me to decide, but really thats not the point...frankenstein and quasimodo could carry the tank. lol But since you said it first...if the men tell you they cant carry its too much work...yes they are either lazy and full of it or wimps!

Unless we're talking 3 flights of stairs and weird crazy angles, i agree with what the others said...getting it outside will make this way easier and better to deal with...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I recently bought a 155 that was saltwater and had coraline algae all over the front. What i did was fill it up and put 5 gallons of vinegar and let it run for a few days. Almost all of it came off in that process. there is still a see through film/remnants left but i dont think there is a way to get it all the way off. Scraping just seemed to scratch the glass. Just an idea.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Swooshmandm, I may do that. And VisionQuest, yes I was joking.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest28 View Post
I have moved 210's with just 2 people, and several 125's.
arcylic? i moved my glass 210-and 180 took 6 of us ( iam the only dude that short and skinny) 6 stair step and 3 turn . i cant picture only 2 guys and trying to moved a 210G , its 24" wide and 6' long , one wrong move or one guy just gave up the tank will flip and BAM< bye bye tank LMFAO

VICTOR PIMP #45: HPT270B-250

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode