*Restarting over-need help/advice* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
ZDK

PTrader: (0/0%)
*Restarting over-need help/advice*

Peace All...

I apologize if this is too long or in the wrong section, so please forgive me. I am in the process of moving and for the past 3yrs I have not had my tank set up and in my new place I would like to set up my tank as a show piece. In the past I was very knowledgeable on aquarium set up and maintenance, but in all fairness it was from a very basic standpoint. I had very nice planted aquariums, used co2 diffusion and keep mainly Live-bearing fish (my passion!). But now that I'm older I wanted to upgrade and expand my knowledge base.
So here's what I have: a 40 gallon breeder tank, 2 bags of Carib sea Flora Max. I did away with my HOB filter and Red sea Co2 injector.
So here's what I want:
* a good canister filter (I've heard they were better than HOB--or should I
have both?)
* LED lighting system (tank is 36L and about 16H so how many fixtures
would I need for a nicely dense aquarium--if there is already a section or
post on here could you kindly link me to it?)
* a cheap but efficient Co2 system
My set up will most likely be Black Mollies, a catfish or two and Koolie loaches (4-6). I'd prefer easy growing plants such as Jungle Val Hygrophila and nana (big and small). Those who are knowledgeable about aquatic environments could you please let me know if the above plants go well together or give other recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you like canisters, then go for it. They do fit better under the tank, less visible. There are some pretty good innovations out there in the last few years.

Similar can be said about LED fixtures. Have a look in the Lighting forum for a lot more advise.

There is no cheap and efficient CO2 system. The tried and true is still a bottle, regulator, needle valve and good diffusion method. Often the diffusion is combined with the filter, especially if you select a higher flow canister.
If you try to downgrade the canister to 'just barely works' then further impede the flow with more plumbing you can dip down into 'does not work very well'.

Fish choices:
Mollies are hard, alkaline water fish, salt is optional.
Kuhlie Loaches are soft, acidic water fish. Not compatible.
Catfish is a giant fish family; which ones are you thinking about?

Plant choices: Almost all the plants commonly available for aquariums are compatible with a wide range of conditions. There are a few specialty plants that really do need soft, acidic water, but these are usually noted as being special.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode