Getting a 20 long. Just a few general suggestions needed. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting a 20 long. Just a few general suggestions needed.

Hey guys, I'm getting my third tank in my bedroom, fourth in the apartment tomorrow hopefully. I decided a 20 long would fit nicely over one of my dressers, and seeing as I'm upgrading my 29g's lighting soon, I can use the 30" twin fluorescent tube strip light over this tank.

I'm also thinking of putting 2 or 3 clip on 6500k 23w compact fluorescent bulbs over it, for a total of 86 or 109 watts. This would either technically give me 4.3 or 5.45 watts per gallon, although I know the cfl bulbs aren't as efficient (however they ARE cheap and the ones at my work look nice). Even assuming the efficiency of them are as low as 50% with restrike, I'd still get 3.15 or 3.725 wpg respectively.

So here are my questions:

I wanted to do a simple aquascape using only stones and a few plant species. I could either get hairgrass or pygmy chain sword near me for the grassy look I want, I'd rather have hairgrass, but I hear pygmy chain sword is easier (never tried hairgrass but chain sword grows for me). Is it really that much of a difference, and with this lighting and Excel, how fast could I expect either to carpet the whole tank?

I also wanted it to mainly be a species tank with a schooling fish and maybe some rcs, what common species (I'm talking petsmart/petco fish, they're the only fish supplier close to me) would be able to stand alone and hold attention, along with schooling tight?

Would DIY co2 be sufficient?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
I've only started keeping dwarf hairgrass and so far, when compared with chain sword, I'd have to say that the chain sword filled in really quickly in comparison.

As far as a schooling fish, I'm partial to rummy nose tetras. They school pretty tightly and make a nice display. I've also done cardinal and black neon tetras with somewhat similar results but prefer the rummies, hands down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Hairgrass needs to be "mowed" regularly to get it to carpet well.

If the top of the dresser is high up, I'd go with chain sword instead- no mowing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode