Live food in tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Live food in tank

I've read many times that people have live food right in their tank. Once the tank is setup you add worms, or shrimp, etc and once you have an established colony you can add fish. Then your fish have an endless supply of food. Can this be done in a tank already with fish? What would be the fastest breeding invert for this, I'm assuming a type of worm and not shrimp. What do you use in your tank? The ones I've heard most often are black worms and rcs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Scuds would be my go to for this, but you have to have areas that your fish can not get to them so they have a chance to establish themselves.

Also, you have to have a huge population of feeders compared to a small fish population. As usual its all about balance.

LionelC
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelC View Post
Scuds would be my go to for this, but you have to have areas that your fish can not get to them so they have a chance to establish themselves.

Also, you have to have a huge population of feeders compared to a small fish population. As usual its all about balance.

LionelC
My tank will be heavily planted once everything grows out, so lots of places to hide. How many scuds should I start off with? It's 55 gal

Last edited by fishyfishy101; 08-21-2015 at 04:45 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You need a lot if you want them to survive long enough to become established. I'd say you need at least 50 adults since you already have fish. It might help to set up a small tank for scuds first to build up their numbers to 50 or so, then add them to the tank in large numbers at a time until they are establishd.

You can use less without setting up a separate tank, but your colony won't grow that fast, and with the fish eating them,it may not grow at all. It really depends on what fish you have and how many. You might look into using more than one feeder organism too.

Bump: You need a lot if you want them to survive long enough to become established. I'd say you need at least 50 adults since you already have fish. It might help to set up a small tank for scuds first to build up their numbers to 50 or so, then add them to the tank in large numbers at a time until they are establishd.

You can use less without setting up a separate tank, but your colony won't grow that fast, and with the fish eating them,it may not grow at all. It really depends on what fish you have and how many. You might look into using more than one feeder organism too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virc003 View Post
It really depends on what fish you have and how many. You might look into using more than one feeder organism too.
Tank has
rainbow fish - 3 of each
boesemani and praecox
and tetras - 6 of each
serpae and congo
What other feeder organism would you recomend?

Last edited by fishyfishy101; 08-21-2015 at 11:15 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I tried adding black worms to 2 different tanks that had fish in them (1 worm eater per tank).. one tank they lasted a few weeks.. other they didn't make it a day (very determined hunter got them all.. freaking pig.. good thing I only added 5 as s test run or the fish would have exploded).
All those fish will hunt down anything they can swallow that you put in, I'd recommend keeping a tank to grow food in (scuds or black worms are easy especially if you just make it a tub with floaters and a light on 12-16 hours a day to deal with ammonia) and just adding them every few days/weeks to the tank to replenish the supply... But thats just my opinion.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 03:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The reason I said to start with so many is because there will be huge losses initially until the inverts can settle in and find good hiding spots. Think of it as storming normandy on d day...you need a massive force to survive. It would greatly help to feed way too much an hour or so before introducing them so that your fish are so full they can't be bothered to go hunting.

I don't know enough about most of those fish to determine how many you really need to start a colony. Hopefully someone else can give some advice on their hunting abilities.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode