How Do "You" Run / Monitor Your Pressurized Co2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
How Do "You" Run / Monitor Your Pressurized Co2?

There seems to be many different ways ...

How do you run and monitor your pressurized Co2? Reactor, diffuser, bubble counter, needle valve, pH controller, 24/7, only when lights are on, etc, etc??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:09 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
I had a timer for mine. I used different methods of getting it into the water, but I liked the ceramic disc diffuser the most.

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I use a ghetto home made bubble counter to give me a feel for how much I bubble. I use a rex-style reactor and I try to use a drop checker, but I don't trust it.
The CO2 comes on an hour before the lights and turns off an our before lights out.
The amount of CO2 only gets adjusted, wenn (a) the plants don't pearl enough (up) or (b) the fish gasp at the surface (down). Otherwise I leave it alone.
I occasionally check the tank pressure to make sure I'm not running out of CO2.
I hope this answers your question for my part.
Let me know if I forgot anything.

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals:

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Ph controller here!!! i know alot of members here suggest that Ph controller just a waste of money . but thats how i run mine , and really happy with the result.

VICTOR PIMP #45: HPT270B-250
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

/\ /\ How often do you calibrate it? The reason I ask is because I also use a controller (set at 6.5) and when I checked a little while ago it was down to 6.2 (I did pull out a great deal of plants earlier today - not sure if that would cause such a change). Although the controller shut the Co2 off, I am still concerned as to why the pH dropped so much since the last time I checked (a couple of days ago).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
All I really do is check the pressure gauges and the bubble rate every once in a while. I keep the solenoid plugged into a timer, so I don't really have to worry about it much at all.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

/\ /\ What schedule do you have the timer on?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
How can you put something on a timer that has nothing to plug in?

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

/\ /\

He said: "I keep the solenoid plugged into a timer"

I was asking when he turned the Co2 on and off. Before lights on, with lights on, etc.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Mine comes on 1hr before the lights and goes off 1 hour before the lights. Run through the canister. If my plants are pearling and the fish are not stressed all is OK.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloth View Post
Mine comes on 1hr before the lights and goes off 1 hour before the lights. Run through the canister. If my plants are pearling and the fish are not stressed all is OK.
Yup. That's exactly my strategy too.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyEdsul View Post
/\ /\ How often do you calibrate it? The reason I ask is because I also use a controller (set at 6.5) and when I checked a little while ago it was down to 6.2 (I did pull out a great deal of plants earlier today - not sure if that would cause such a change). Although the controller shut the Co2 off, I am still concerned as to why the pH dropped so much since the last time I checked (a couple of days ago).
my probe are brand new , i'll calibrate every 3-4month or so ..since calibrate fluid so cheap anyways , better safe than not accurate

VICTOR PIMP #45: HPT270B-250
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolkri View Post
How can you put something on a timer that has nothing to plug in?
some solenoids come with or can be converted to use an electrical cord. its called a 2-way normally closed direct acting circuit. i think..

VICTOR PIMP #41 - HTP270C-250
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (104/100%)
I use the method of if my plants are pearling and no algae issues related to co2 i'm good. also no fish gasping. I got to this rate by slowly bumping it up until I noticed the fish at the top of the water gasping and I bumped it down just a little and they were fine.

I diffuse it with a danner needle wheel mag drive pump. works great. I use a timer with it coming on a half hr prior to lights on and off.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode