My Parent's Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
My Parent's Planted Tank

So, I've been home for about a month before I begin grad school and my dad wants me to set up a 50gal (I think) hex-front planted tank. I'm using the equipment that I saved from my 29gal tank I took apart back at my old apt, which I think will be adequate for his tank. He's not planning on overstocking, maybe 3 or 4 angelfish and a small school of some kind. We've pretty much finished the whole set up and I'll be planting the tank this week.

As far as plants...I'm mostly slow growers, but a few stems in there to begin with. And with the lighting, it'll be about 2.4 w/gal, and if I did the math right, that should be about medium lighting right? I think he won't have too much trouble growing the plants he wants. He'll also have a 20lb pressurized CO2 system for the tank, so it should last a while. I dunno if he plans on fertilizing, but I have dry ferts left over from my last tank.

Aside from all this technical hullabaloo, this'll be my dad's first planted tank, so I hope he'll like it. I'm kinda just using this thread to plan and maybe get some suggestions for plants and stuff. I'm thinkin' swords and vals in the background, some lobelia and stems in the middle and maybe dwarf hairgrass as a foreground.

I'll get pics of the tank in a day or two, after I start planting it. I hope that wasn't too confusing, I'm a little tired...

ps. Anyone know of any good LFSs in North Jersey?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to snoz0r
Where about in north jersey?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
click above for my tank journal - Eheim Pimp Club #357 - SunSun Pimp #3
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoz0r View Post
Where about in north jersey?
Wherever it is, it's probably not as cool as Newton.

65 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Two I've stopped in recently are FishtownUSA on route 17 and Absolutely Fish on 46 East.

Absolutely Fish had a decent selection of stemmed plants, but not many mosses. FishTownUSA had A good selection of mosses and a few swords and crypts. Their growing tanks were smaller and had higher light plants.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool thanks for the suggestions! I'm at Chester. I'll try to stop by those places.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
ive never been to fishtownUSA. ive heard its good though. absolutely fish is HUGE though, and has a large selection of healthy livestock. but its pricey.
id say you should order online unless its an emergency or has ridiculous shipping costs.
or try to get it at small LFSs (a bit cheaper the absolutely fish).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, as promised I got some pics. My dad's pretty excited about the tank, so we got some fish today and a few plants. So far: 10 zebra danios and a pair of what I'm pretty sure is pelvicachromis pulcher (labeled as asst. pelvicachromis at the LFS) with Ludwigia repens, Crypt. wendtii, and E. tenellus.

I'll be getting more plants tomorrow and during the week, hopefully.

FTS

Best pic of the pair right now. They look like they've paired up at the store. They were hanging around each other.

The tail end of a krib (the male).
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
It's always nice to see the beginnings of a new tank

I personally would loose the background, especially since it appears to be coral... Just hang something black behind the tank and let the plants do the rest.

I'm not sure it will be a problem, but the light fixture does not go all the way to the end of the tank. You may have some trouble growing things at the ends there. It may be fine if you only put the low light, slow growers there, I just wanted to mention it.

If those lights are 2.4 wpg with T5HO's I would definitely suggest fertilizing regularly, especially if you have pressurized CO2 anyway.

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals:

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

hahahaha oh yeah, I completely forgot to tell my dad about it. he doesn't seem to mind, and i doubt he cares, lol. It'll be his responsibility in about a week when I leave. I'm just getting things set up for him. I'll be concentrating planting all the stuff in the middle.

The lights are CFLs.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 06:12 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah i'd definitely get rid of the coral reef background Cool shaped tank though.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah, my dad got it used for real cheap, so it's from the old owner. haha, i'll see if i can change it. I might just pull it off.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, so I went to Adam's Pet Safari (apparently I've been living down the road from a really awesome LFS for about 8 years and never knew it) and got some Hygro angustifolia, corkscrew vals and a small red melon sword. I should be getting a few more stems and an amazon sword tomorrow, and then my dad'll kill me for adding more plants.

We also just finished adding the CO2 reactor and picked up 3 juvi angels. I keep finding some driftwood we've accumulated from our other tanks, so I added another interesting piece and moved the rock around. I know we have a couple more rocks like that, so I'll assemble those to make more hiding spaces for the kribs.

Pics after I arrange more things.

I dunno if I'll get rid of the background (sorry guys!) I think it's kinda funny, using a saltwater background for a freshwater planted. hehe.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

new plants

I just added Najas Grass and needle leaf java fern today.

Well...after a day of co2, a bunch of plants are pearling! There are bubbles everywhere! Anyways, just got a few close up pics.

my favorite of the angels we got.

some of the e. tenellus

I think it's red melon sword?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (30/100%)
Sorry but i dont like the substrate and background, other than that great job!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

haha, yeah me either, but it's not my tank. My dad's responsible for all that stuff. I'm just setting it up for plants. I think the substrate is a mix of old flourite, new laterite and tacky green gravel.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode