Planted tank with no fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted tank with no fish?

Have any of you had a heavily planted tank without fish? Would love to see any pictures you may have your current tank if you have one like this. I have a 55g that has been up and running for about 8 years. I just recently lost my fish due to a stupid thing I did. I introduced a new fish with putting it in quarantine first. It had a parasite and took out my tank.

So I am attempting to make some lemonade out of lemons. I have been thinking for almost a year about doing a plant only tank. I love grass type plants and am thinking about doing a tank of different grass varieties flowing in the current. The movement of the plants are truly relaxing to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

It's quite possible to do this, and sure the plants will grow just fine.

However, the tank is going to look strange to the "non-believers" (non aquarium people).

I would add a few fish of one species or another. Nothing difficult. Just something to have in the tank. A few cats for cleaning up, and some tetras of one form or another would be great.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have contemplated this many times, but always go back on it and pick up having fish. I feel like it would be something that is much nicer done on a smaller tank.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I look at the fish as the decorations, or the added attraction in my planted tank. So, I don't use expensive fish at all. I like live bearers, in fact. A tank with guppies or platys is always more interesting to look at than a no-fish tank, and the cost is minimal. If some of those fish run into problems you can be pretty sure you will soon have replacements generated by the remaining fish.

Hoppy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 06:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have a number of tanks with no fish. It is much easier to maintain them without fish. I like them a lot but most people who come by prefer to watch the fish.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

One thing that appeals to me about a fishless tank is the convenience of low maintenance. In other words keeping a low tech tank with no life other than the plants themselves would give me freedom to travel etc without the preventative care. Also like I said in my original post the relaxing effect of the plants is what I enjoy the most.

Although I may end up keeping an angel eventually. They're my favorites and have had great success at keeping them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
The fish do not generally contribute much to the bio cycle of a high tech tank. You get your ferts from dosing. The only advantage of having no fish is that you can crank up your CO2 level really high though.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I look at the fish as the decorations, or the added attraction in my planted tank. So, I don't use expensive fish at all. I like live bearers, in fact. A tank with guppies or platys is always more interesting to look at than a no-fish tank, and the cost is minimal. If some of those fish run into problems you can be pretty sure you will soon have replacements generated by the remaining fish.
I would second Hoppy on this one.

If no fish 80ppm of CO2 is the way to go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:45 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
I would second Hoppy on this one.

If no fish 80ppm of CO2 is the way to go!
Don't forget plants need oxygen too.

Tags
no fish, plant only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode