Fertilization questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fertilization questions

Hello all and thank you for your time today. I have a 65gallon Long planted tank. I have a few questions on what is needed and how to test. As for my setup I am using the AquaticLife Marquis Dual-Lamp T5HO lights, Caribsea tahitian moon substrate and a hydor 600 for filtration. Plants started browning so LFS said i needed plant food, sold me a bottle of flourish. Still no change so i went to another LFS who had some nice planted tanks (I was looking for drift wood) and told him my issue and he reccomended I use plant Pack Enhancer: NPK combines Flourish Nitrogen™, Flourish Phosphorus™, and Flourish Potassium™ from Seachem. (3) 100ml Bottles . i followed directions and there was an improvement but not much plants still brown some have holes so I got the Seachem Flourish Excel 500ml 16oz Organic Carbon and was told to use this. Am i doing something wrong? How do I know if my plants are lacking phos or nitro and so on? Light is on from 5:30pm to 9:30pm . At first tank was on for 10 hours .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Holes suggest potassium defficiency. Seachems beginner label rates are *very* minimalist..

http://deficiencyfinder.com/

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What are the dimensions of that tank? I can't find anything on google about a 65 gallon long tank? The light fixture you have has very good reflectors, so you might have high light. If so, you will need to alter your fertilizing quite a bit.

Hoppy

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry it's a 55 big typo there 48 x15 x17 tall . Just very lost tbh I've done all I was advised to do so I'm just bleh lol
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As Hoppy mentioned that is a pretty good light so you will need quite a bit more fertilizer than Seachems beginning dose, maybe 3 times as much right away. And with that much light and fertilizer you will need a source of carbon. Either start with Excel or inject co2, or better yet do both.

I would get some dry fertilizers and some excel. The dry ferts are 10 times cheaper than buying 3 or 4 bottles of mostly water a month. That should set you up for healthy plant growth. You may need to start with tiny doses of excel each day and work up to full doses so the plants can acclimate.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Are you still using the Seachem Flourish product line?

Flourish Comprehensive is trace minerals and a very low level of macros. This one is often simply called Flourish.

Flourish N, P, K are macros.

Flourish Excel is carbon.

As suggested above, you may need to increase the dosages.

If you are keeping a lot of fish, then the fish food may supply a certain amount of most nutrients, but generally is low in potassium, iron and calcium.
Your tap water can supply the Ca if the GH is above 3 German degrees of hardness, and you do enough water changes.
I would increase the dose of Flourish Potassium, and perhaps get some Flourish Iron. Comprehensive has iron, you could simply increase the dosing of this, instead of getting another product.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode