Raising Live Food - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Raising Live Food

I have never tried raising live food, but I have always wanted to give it a try. I was courious to know if you can keep worms(blood worms, black worms, etc) and let them live in the sand substrate.
Would this work or do they not meet the conditions of tropical fish? Also is there anyway to use a guppy breeder box to keep other types of live food in the same tank?
Thanks

2.5 Planted Nano Puffer Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 Long Community
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Blackworms need pretty cool temperatures to thrive and reproduce. It's very possible to have a self-sustaining colony living in the substrate, but the fish will definitely clean them out given the chance

I have a sticky in the Fish Forum on culturing live foods. Check it out!

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
haha lego, your part of what inspired me. I was thinking about trying it out in my shrimp tank first and then if it worked i could try it in the breeder box.
I will deff. check out your thread

2.5 Planted Nano Puffer Tank

20 Long Community

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm also interested in learning to culture live food for my fish, and I'll definitely be taking a look at your thread, Lego. I was planning to pick up the book Culturing Live Foods after reading an exerpt in last month's TFH. This seems an appropriate place to ask if anyone knows whether or not it's worth the money for someone completely new to the process? Hopefully I'm not hijacking your thread, crimsonbull.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voozle View Post
I'm also interested in learning to culture live food for my fish, and I'll definitely be taking a look at your thread, Lego. I was planning to pick up the book Culturing Live Foods after reading an exerpt in last month's TFH. This seems an appropriate place to ask if anyone knows whether or not it's worth the money for someone completely new to the process? Hopefully I'm not hijacking your thread, crimsonbull.
Definitely worth it. Most of what I know about culturing live foods came from that book. The author's got tons of info on almost every kind of culture-able food out there.

It's got lots of information, but it's not full of technical and scientific jargon. Great for beginners and experts alike, IMHO.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 05:36 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I just picked up a copy of it (hasn't even been delivered yet); cheapest place I found it was www.half.com (Ebay's book clearinghouse).

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 05:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
I saw it at the LFS the other day for $30, I think I'll pick it up next time I go. Thanks for letting me know, Lego, although your thread is extremely helpful. Where can starter cultures of the various feeder species be easily obtained?

Ah, never mind, that's what I get for not reading your insightful thread through to the end. I see where to find them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode