Trout - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Trout

I have heard to many times that trout cannot be kept in an aquarium without a chiller and strong current. But I have known a few people who kept them in the lowest conditions and they are happily feeding.

My cousin caught a 12 inch rainbow from a local very cold river. The trout was still alive when he brought it home so he decided to throw it in his goldfish aquarium, which is located in his bathroom. The aquarium had a filter that was barely dripping only, it had no flow. It was a 10 gallon aquarium with the water filled up halfway and I'm sure he just use tap water from the bathroom sink. To his surprise, the trout lived. Everyday when he checked on the aquarium, he noticed a few goldfish missing. The trout lived for a few months before his parents decided to cook it.

When he first told me that he had a living trout in his aquarium, I didn't believe him until I saw it for myself. I mean how did my cousin keep a cold water fish in the most low tech, low maintainance aquarium? I'm starting to think that the fishing community is lieing to us. Trout do tolerate room temperature and will live happily but the public just doesn't want us keeping gamefish. Well I am talking about rainbow trout, not brooks.

I do see Rainbows and Browns living in warm creeks. I also see thriving trout frys and suckers. And they do bite when I fish them. So what is your opinion? Have you guys had any Trout experience? Im starting to think that all those people talking about Trout requirements at home don't know what the hell they are saying, or they just take what ever people tell them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
yes, you can certainly keep a trout alive in a tank. but should you? NO!

trout belong in streams, lakes and rivers. maybe a big pond.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
surviving in a small 10G and LIVING are 2 different things. If you throw a man into 5'x5' prison cell, he'll live. Will he be happy? No.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post

I'm not hear to keep a trout. But I am here to clarify that Trout don't need chillers and strong currents like what the whole public is saying.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
surviving in a small 10G and LIVING are 2 different things. If you throw a man into 5'x5' prison cell, he'll live. Will he be happy? No.
Well he's eating, and we all know that only happy fishes will eat.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post

exactly my thoughts. Poor guy. At least they made use of him when it was time 5 gallons with almost 0 water movement is hardly ideal.

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

that's what I'm saying, if a trout can survive in that poor of a condition, then they can certainly survive in our high tech aquariums.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Children Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingy-vang View Post
Well he's eating, and we all know that only happy fishes will eat.
no, a hungry fish will eat.

most of us who keep fish aren't interested in seeing a fish stand still in a little tank or in the corner. We want to see them swim and behave like they would in the wild.

That's not going to happen when you dump a wild fish in a little tank that's bear no semblance to its natural habitat.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
no, a hungry fish will eat.

most of us who keep fish aren't interested in seeing a fish stand still in a little tank or in the corner. We want to see them swim and behave like they would in the wild.

That's not going to happen when you dump a wild fish in a little tank that's bear no semblance to its natural habitat.
Well Trout don't really swim in the wild, only away from humans. They just sit and wait for food to flow by
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Agreed! You should never keep a fish that big in a 10 gallon tank. The trout has no room, not enough dissolved oxygen, and not to much stable water since the trout is so big . How long did your cousin have that fish in there?

FISH, SHRIMPS, AND PLANTS RULE!
Click below

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:33 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superedwin View Post
Agreed! You should never keep a fish that big in a 10 gallon tank, the trout has no room. How long did your cousin have that fish in there?
A few months

-Chris

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
^^ Ok thanks cl didn't see that before

FISH, SHRIMPS, AND PLANTS RULE!
Click below

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 AM
Avi
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is just amazing. A fish stays alive for "a few months" because it's in water and it's being fed. From that, there's a jump to that they can live a full lifespan like they would in natire that way and the "public" is lying to us about them. Er...huh?

Last edited by Wasserpest; 08-07-2009 at 05:46 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Children Boogie

alright,
I'm closing this thread. it's not going anywhere but down.

Seriously, trout don't really swim?

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode