Best plant to use on Aquascape TREE? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Best plant to use on Aquascape TREE?

I have a nice piece of Manzanita I plan on making a underwater tree aquascape in one of my tanks, most likely being a center piece rather than off to the side like some other scapes have done.

Manzanita branch stands maybe 20" tall with limbs spanning out maybe 12" or so wide, from furthest reach to the opposite end .

Just looking as to what plant options I have to go with.
High tech tank, so I pretty much could go with anything, but what plants would look nice as looking like a legit tree and not so difficult tying to the tree.

I was considering various mosses (not java moss or flame moss, just don't like their look for this tree), but have been considering non-moss type plants, such as mini/low growing stem plants and what other plants that would be okay attaching to the wood and not have to be anchored in the substrate (so water column feeders).
Hope to get decent rate growers or at least cheaper slow growers just so I can afford to cover most of the tree right away. I do have time to grow the tree out though.
I don't think I would consider mini size, but larger size leaved plants like Anubias nana petite or mini Buces., just not the bushy effect I would like.

Just let me know some species that could work and I will consider them.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Banned

PTrader: (16/100%)
You don't really have to many plants other than mosses that work well for a tree. I saw a post where someone used cendol plant. I would like to see how azolla caroliniana would look as a tree. You can get red and green variations to mimic seasons. This a floater so not sure how well it would do submerged.

Anubias petite would probably look good.

Last edited by goatnad; 08-17-2015 at 03:01 PM. Reason: another plant
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 06:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
mosses are probably your best bet. I suppose you could figure out something with dwarf baby tears but I have a feeling it would be real tough to keep it in place. Maybe riccia?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
There is this tree that is using a stem plant, I think it's some species Ludwigia or Rotala.
Any idea how they got that to work? How do you think they attached it?
The stem plants could grow well with just water column dosing?

I remember seeing some other trees using mini foreground plants, but I am a fairly new to higher tech demanding plants so I am not too familiar with the potential plants I could use for the tree.

I will probably go with a moss, but wanted to see my options.
Which moss would you guys recommend? Would prefer something that gets a more vibrant green and just looks overall much cleaner and bushier. Going for a clean tree look, like a happy looking tree of life, not a tree that looks messy, dark and spooky.
Any other species?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 05:27 AM
Banned

PTrader: (16/100%)
Christmas moss will make it look like a Christmas tree or like the picture shows. Weeping moss will droop down resembling weeping willow trees. Fissidens fontanus looks really nice.Also flame moss could be used. It grows wavy and vertically.

Pictures of mosses in this order:
Christmas moss
Fissidens fontanus
weeping moss
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pinheiro manso final.jpg
Views:	3205
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	507657  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03170k.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	507665  

Attached Images

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode