A sad start - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy A sad start

2 weeks in to my first planted tank. Kept a kitschy livestock tank as a kid many years ago. Spent past 2 weeks cycling tank, planting, setting up C02 system, and finally introducing a small school of fish (serpae tetras). Everything was going well and then, oh no, i notice my floating glass thermometer is broken at the bottom. All the little balls were scattered on the bottom of the tank, and of course there's some glass in there somewhere.

Not worried about mercury and was able to get the little balls out (just used the outside half of a magnetic aquarium algae scraper). Alas, I can not find the little bits of glass.... What to do? rip the whole tank down, redo the hard scape, replant, re-do everything? I'd be so disappointed if I had to, but really don't want itty bitty bits of glass someplace where eventual oto cats or other bottom dwellers get all cut up and killed.

am kind of bummed. Guess no more glass thermometers for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Just add a thin layer of sand on top of what you already have. Any piece of glass will be covered, and not a problem. Fill a zip lock bag with sand, get as much air out as you can, place it on the bottom of your aquarium. Then open the bag and slowly pull it out of the water. The pressure from the water above will cause the sand to stay put. Then you can gently spread it around, with minimal to no cloudy water.

Last edited by fishyfishy101; 08-17-2015 at 02:59 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 03:42 AM
Algae Grower

The glass will eventually make its way back to the top if it's bigger than the grains of sand.

Don't tear it down. Fish are smarter than you think, but to reduce accidents during their learning curve, you should spend as much time seaching for the larger pieces. Keep all the broken bits too to piece back together so you know when you got it all. As for searching make a square grid in a couple inch increments to help search each area evenly.There are also devices you can make to see through the top of the water much clearer (similar to looking through a window or swimming goggles.

I had one of those break in my tank with a dojo loach, african dwarf frog, and a small school of cories and had no ill effects.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the great suggestions. Think I'm going to try both. First the organized search (crime scene!) followed by adding more flourite to bury whatever I can't locate. Feeling a bit better about it all now.

Again, thanks!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by podfrog View Post
...am kind of bummed. Guess no more glass thermometers for me...
Get a digital one from Wally-World they are only a few bucks and no mercury, no glass. The little black probe is hardly noticeable, unlike one of those big ugly glass thermometers!

40 breeder - 1.25" Dirt/1.25" Black Diamond cap - Pressurized CO2 (2.25bps) - 2x54watt T5HO and 42watt LED (total 150watts; 14,500 lumens) - EI dosing - 50% weekly WC - H.O.T. Magnum 250 canister - SunSun 530 gph pump - Set-up 7-14-2015 - Cycled 8-1-2015

"Whatever is inconsistent with the facts,
no matter of how fond of it we are,
MUST be discarded or revised." - Carl Sagan

Last edited by MJB13; 08-17-2015 at 02:37 PM. Reason: OCD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode