Tank water is red!!! Help Me LOL - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Tank water is red!!! Help Me LOL

Ok so I am almost freaking out right now lol!! I just finished dosing some h2o2 60ml since tank is 60gallons on the bga which was everywhere then I turned filter off and left for 20min and came back cleaned whole tank and trimmed what needed trimming then did a 50% water change. By the time everything was normal, but it's been 30or so min and now my damn waters purple or red LOl!! Save me! Or my tank haha! What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by treyLcham; 08-16-2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 11:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
No idea but it's kind of cool looking... Only thing I can think of is food coloring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 11:34 PM
Banned

PTrader: (16/100%)
It is probably due to algae dying from the peroxide. The algae will turn red or pinkish . You probably have Alot of algae 8n your water column. Just leave it and do another water change tomorrow.

Nice tank by the way. Love the driftwood.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
It is probably due to algae dying from the peroxide. The algae will turn red or pinkish . You probably have Alot of algae 8n your water column
OKOK now i know what it is haha. I scrapped the sides of the glass and i guess didnt give it time to settle down before pulling the gook from the bottom with the siphon lol. Makes sense now haha. Yea i had a pretty bad case of bga.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah it will turn the algae red and kills it off. Since the fish generally eat the algae after it turns red, this should not be harmful. Next time you should just target the clumps using a syringe or spray bottle. But it does look cool.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2015 View Post
Yeah it will turn the algae red and kills it off. Since the fish generally eat the algae after it turns red, this should not be harmful. Next time you should just target the clumps using a syringe or spray bottle. But it does look cool.
well i used a spray bottle but i ended up dumping the rest in the tank LOL woops haha
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 03:49 AM
Banned

Be careful doing that. Peroxide can be deadly to fish if you dose to much.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
yea i dosed
60ml which is ok =)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
its not really the fish, i mean it can be harmful to fish, but its more of an issue to the benefical bacteria in the tank. H2O2 is a pretty indiscriminate killer when it comes to bacteria, it kills everybody.

Will

on Facebook.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Planted Member

Hang a disco ball over the tank.

40 breeder - 1.25" Dirt/1.25" Black Diamond cap - Pressurized CO2 (2.25bps) - 2x54watt T5HO and 42watt LED (total 150watts; 14,500 lumens) - EI dosing - 50% weekly WC - H.O.T. Magnum 250 canister - SunSun 530 gph pump - Set-up 7-14-2015 - Cycled 8-1-2015

"Whatever is inconsistent with the facts,
no matter of how fond of it we are,
MUST be discarded or revised." - Carl Sagan
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Lol^ I thought it was so cool when I shined the light into the tank ahhah. Yea aquatic delight, I was a little worried about the bb so I turned my filter off and closed the line for 30min after dosing and yes I did have it off during as well. I will probably loose some of the bb from the substrate but I hope I don't loose most of them. Good thing is that my filter is rated for 75+ gallons and this tank is 60 at most. So it holds an extra media basket=]. Well the color seems to have gone away, but it's still a little foggy and I'm guessing that will go away eventually(probably should do a water change)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank journal =).
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 06:07 AM

It's looking cool and I don't something like this before.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiniathomas View Post
It's looking cool and I don't something like this before.
yea its a first for me='). The color has finally went to a white color now and is kinda annoying to look at the tank water. I knowits not a algae bloom as i have a uv sterilizer so i would guess its just from the chemicals im adding for the bga.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Banned

Do a water change. The white your seeing is still dead algae in the tank. If you had a uv sterilizer on this and you got blooms like you had then your sterilizer may not be working well
or isn't the right size for the amount of flow you have. You should really shouldn't have any algae if using the right sterilizer. What chemicals are you dosing for bga?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Do a water change. The white your seeing is still dead algae in the tank. If you had a uv sterilizer on this and you got blooms like you had then your sterilizer may not be working well
or isn't the right size for the amount of flow you have. You should really shouldn't have any algae if using the right sterilizer. What chemicals are you dosing for bga?
well what happen was i dosed h202
then after that i
cleaned the glass off with a razor blade, so then all the algae was in the water column and it died and was just floating around in it lol. It definitely not a bloom or what not though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode