Help, what is this "stuff" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help, what is this "stuff"

So I am setting up my first tank, and did a lot of reading beforehand. I have a nano-cube 24G that was a reef tank at first, but it was taken down and then cleaned well with baking soda and water and a little vinegar as well.
So I put in about 3" of the Eco- gravel and planned to start with the silent cycle. I put in a few hand full’s of plants that I got from friends and other local tanks. I added then over a week’s time to ramp it up. I put in a DIY Co2 that is working well, and the lights are 2X36W PC 10K/actinic. (I have a new 10K and 6700K on the way to replace them)
I added some drift wood that I got at a LFS and had soaked in RO/DI water until it was a bit lighter than tea per my readings.
So I came home today and the water looked "milk" like. I found that most of the plants have what looks like hair algae but it is white?
The water in the tank was not RO/DI but tap that was treated for chlorine.

Any thoughts on what it is, what is going wrong and what I need to do?
if it is white algae (new for me) should I look for a cleanup crew now?
I am going to cut the light down from 10 hours to 8 for now and see if that helps.
I am also thinking of a water change this weekend too?

here is a pic of what it looks like. it is on the plants and the glass

Last edited by co_alpine; 08-05-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

update: tonights water test
Nitrate - 0
Nitrites- 0
GH - 150
chlorine - 0
alk - 300
PH 7.2
ammonia - 0

I am going to let it run it's course for a bit based on the water test unless someone on here has other advice. one thing I know from my reefs is to not over react to a tank unless you have a solid reason to.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
thanks for the update!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

you said that your water is milky. does it have a greenish tint to it?
here is a link to some algae types. looks like hair algae to me but i'm not the best at identifying different types.
also you shouldnt have 0 nitrates. you need to have a balance of nutrients in your tank. you should have nitrate, phosphate and potasium (which are your macros), and also iron (one of your micro's). not having one of them can cause algae growth
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

do you have c02?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:28 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
That, my friend looks like hair algae

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
you said that your water is milky. does it have a greenish tint to it?
it was looking that way because it had white hair all over the glass. after cleaning that and doing a 30% water change it looks a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
do you have c02?
yes, I have CO2 natural plant system running in it. I was not sure about it but found it at petsmart for 10.99 so got it. it is running very well right now. the water had kind of a "slimmy" feeling before the water change but is getting better.

also, I have the lights cut back to 7 hours right now, and the new 6700K light will be here tomorrow.
tonights water test is
Nitrate - 0
Nitrites- 0
GH - between 75-150
chlorine - 0
alk - between 150-300
PH 7.2
ammonia - 0

the tank is still very new in the cycle (doing the silent cycle). the plants still look good, just waiting to see growth signs so I can add the first few fish to expand the cycle load.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:54 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
I know it as fuzz algae. Check this site out: http://www.gwapa.org/articles/algae/#hair

According to the site, low or unstable CO2, or imbalanced nutrient levels will cause fuzz algae to appear. If you're using a DIY CO2 system, there's your problem. DIY is nearly impossible to keep perfectly steady.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomaniac89 View Post
I know it as fuzz algae. Check this site out: http://www.gwapa.org/articles/algae/#hair

According to the site, low or unstable CO2, or imbalanced nutrient levels will cause fuzz algae to appear. If you're using a DIY CO2 system, there's your problem. DIY is nearly impossible to keep perfectly steady.
great site, thanks (bookmarked)
question though, it also has listed - N (10-20ppm) but I am not sure which "N" that is. I ma used to seeing it as N02 (Nitrate)or NO3 (Nitrite) or NH3 (ammonia). do you know what the N is for? is that for strait Nitrogen?

it could be the CO2 but as my N02 and N03 are both 0 that may also be it (based also on anther post on this issue)

thanks again for the help guys!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
You are looking for Nitrate levels. Nitrite is not good for the fishies

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode