Is this driftwood safe to use in my tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this driftwood safe to use in my tank?

Bought it at petsmart in the reptile section, it doesn't say it isn't safe so I picked it up. Before I boil it I figured I'd ask if it is safe to use, if it isn't I will return it.

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 03:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

It's likely safe, but I would soak it in a bucket for a few days first. It may throw off a lot of tannins.

I one got some x-large mopani driftwood. It looked great but took about 2 1/2 months of soaking to get the tannins out.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 03:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
probably is. If i were you i would try to boil some water and stick the wood in the water while it is boiling and just let it sit in it for a good 30min to help kick start getting the tannins out, and also killing anything that you might not want. By the looks of it im guessing when you add it to a tank you are going to get a lot of bacteria eating at some of the wood. When u get it dont worry it wont harm anything.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 03:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
LOOKS like mopani.. if it is.. it will leach tannins and, grow fungus.. do as suggested previously.

Bump: Good news is if it is mopani it will sink immediately!

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
If you don't have a pot big enough, you can run it through the dishwasher. Do high temp, and obviously no soap.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Rather than mopani I might guess grapewood. How heavy is it? Lightweight for size will be more likely to be grapewood as mopani does tend to be dense where grapewood is full of air.
I would not worry about it being safe other than a standard bleach soak just to make sure. Most any wood runs the chance of having pesticides so the bleach is just a good easy way to make sure. Even mopani sold in stores runs the chance of being sprayed by the bug man while it is hanging out in the store floor? Grapes are often sprayed. If it is grapewood, it may not be as durable and long lasting as other woods.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have this piece and another piece in my dishwasher. Almost done with the first run. Heavy high temp wash with a 155 degree sanitation rinse. Going to run it again after it finishes for good measure.

I've been bleaching all my equipment and water change buckets. Totally emptying my 55 tonight and cleaning with oxiclean an then bleach, followed by a full to the top soak in water with a triple shot of prime to de chlorinate with a couple air stones running. Then hopefully I can place my driftwood and put the flourite and gravel in. I'd like to place my plants back in tonight. I desnailed the plants and cleaned any algae off.

It's a pita but it will be nice in the end.

Here's a pic of my other piece
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Save the Prime by just rinsing and then let it air dry?
The chlorine is a gas by nature and will blow away as it dries. Proof of this/ Think what happens when you go around a pool or spa with chlorine. The reason you smell it is because it is gassing off into the air where you can smell it. People tend to make bleaching a complex issue when it really is simple, cheap and easy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode