So, I've moved this discussion to the Tank Journal section: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=8210793
And thanks everyone for your advice.
So, my 4 year old daughter is crazy jealous of my 6 year old son's 36 gallon tank (journal in my sig, but it needs updated greatly). A friend gave us a 1 gallon Aqueon betta tank so we bought her a betta, his name is Olaf.
Now, it pains me every day to see Olaf in such cramped quarters so I've been planning an aquarium build for him for about a month now. The tank will go on a desktop in my daughter's room but will be much smaller than his 36 gallon. So, being Dad of the year and all, I decided I couldn't just buy her a 10 gallon tank and call it a day, she needs something cool.
So, I plan to build two 10 gallon cubes (14" cube with 12" water level) and connect them with a 5" inside clear water bridge. I plan to leave 24" of clear space between the two tanks for her to "decorate" under/in-between.
Both tanks will be dirted like my son's.
That said, I'm calling on you wonderful folk to please have a look at what I've drawn and offer any suggestions you may have.
Questions I have:
- Do I need a filter for each tank?
- What about a canister filter with the intake in one tank and the return in the other?
- Should I just go with an HOB on one tank and call it a day?
- I plan to have glass tops with the back 2" being acrylic (to cut and insert equipment). Planning to just lay the glass on top of the sides and use a handle stuck on with double-sided tape.
- What species can I keep with Olaf? Was thinking about adding some RCS, maybe some Harlequin Rasboras or neon tetras and a 1 nerite per tank.
- I'm going with the bridge concept regardless, but I am curious if Olaf and/or any of his tankmates will actually use it.
- Any glaring concerns from you all?
Once I finalize some of these details and start the build, I'll be sure to journal it.