Fun (Bridge) Tank Build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fun (Bridge) Tank Build

So, I've moved this discussion to the Tank Journal section: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=8210793

And thanks everyone for your advice.

-------------------------------------------------

So, my 4 year old daughter is crazy jealous of my 6 year old son's 36 gallon tank (journal in my sig, but it needs updated greatly). A friend gave us a 1 gallon Aqueon betta tank so we bought her a betta, his name is Olaf.

Now, it pains me every day to see Olaf in such cramped quarters so I've been planning an aquarium build for him for about a month now. The tank will go on a desktop in my daughter's room but will be much smaller than his 36 gallon. So, being Dad of the year and all, I decided I couldn't just buy her a 10 gallon tank and call it a day, she needs something cool.

So, I plan to build two 10 gallon cubes (14" cube with 12" water level) and connect them with a 5" inside clear water bridge. I plan to leave 24" of clear space between the two tanks for her to "decorate" under/in-between.

Both tanks will be dirted like my son's.

That said, I'm calling on you wonderful folk to please have a look at what I've drawn and offer any suggestions you may have.

Questions I have:
  1. Do I need a filter for each tank?
  2. What about a canister filter with the intake in one tank and the return in the other?
  3. Should I just go with an HOB on one tank and call it a day?
  4. I plan to have glass tops with the back 2" being acrylic (to cut and insert equipment). Planning to just lay the glass on top of the sides and use a handle stuck on with double-sided tape.
  5. What species can I keep with Olaf? Was thinking about adding some RCS, maybe some Harlequin Rasboras or neon tetras and a 1 nerite per tank.
  6. I'm going with the bridge concept regardless, but I am curious if Olaf and/or any of his tankmates will actually use it.
  7. Any glaring concerns from you all?

Once I finalize some of these details and start the build, I'll be sure to journal it.

The concept:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ChappyEight; 08-18-2015 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Moved thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
It is impossible. Water follows the path of least resistance. The water in the "bridge" would flow to either side and overflow either or both of the tanks beside.

You could connect them directly like this. [_]=[_]

Best,
Nate

Journals:

Last edited by natebuchholz; 08-14-2015 at 08:58 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nate, thanks for your input. However, the water will stay in the bridge and will not overflow (yay science!).

Here's a good explanation: https://youtu.be/1tmsHa5spqc?t=512

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Algae Grower

It works fine.

Once you stick a tube up in the bridge, and suck the air out, water will be pulled up and held in place by vacuum.

Go to a sink full of water, put glass in water and fill. Then tip upside down and pull the cup out without letting the rim break air. The water stays in the cup.

Bump: If you have air in your system, even micro bubbles you can't see, they could have a tendency to collect in that bridge. It wont destroy the vacuum, it will just increase the water level in your main tanks. So this is an added maintenance you have look out for.

I would recommend making the inlet/outlet of the bridge long enough so you can tip the bridge up sufficiently to drive air bubbles up to a corner to suck out.

current will be almost non existent and driven by temperature difference. Something to consider.

You could pump water easily from one tank to the other tank. As you pump water from tank on the left, and increase on the right, it will be equalized via the bridge by flow. The flow might be low so matching flow of the pump might have to be considered.

Btw, Cool Dad!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
Nate, thanks for your input. However, the water will stay in the bridge and will not overflow (yay science!).

Here's a good explanation: https://youtu.be/1tmsHa5spqc?t=512
Based on what he said at the end of the video about the water levels equalizing between the tanks I'd be inclined to try a canister with the intake and return in different tanks. That way you would be ensured that water is moving through the bridge. With two filters I would be concerned that you might not get much movement through there. Sounds like fun project. Post pictures when finished!
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Vidikron, I'm right with you. As of now, I think that's what I'll do. Probably go with a Fluval 206 and a 200w inline Hydor heater.

Hoping to pick up the glass next week.

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It will be perfectly ok, unless there is an air leak in the bridge. Or atmospheric pressure is different on each tank... kind of unlikely.

Thanks to Mr Bernoulli and his fluid dynamic work.

In fact it's just like an HOB. When your turn the pump off, if the u-shape tube touches water on both sides (filter, tank), water level will equilibrate.

|
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very cool idea. I would go with the canister filter and have the intake in one tank and the return in the other tank. Fish being curious (at least my panda garra's are) I'm sure they would use it. This is a cool idea, unfortunately for me, I am trying to keep the "left" fish tank fish our of the "right" fish tank :-)

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fishes that like current could have lots of fun in the bridge.

|
|
|
|
|
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I am concerned about the glass tops. Water may hold via condensation to those tops and "wick" over the top edge. E-bay sells plastic clips which enable you to hang a glass top
inside of the tank. Don't know the complications which will result from the "other than" square shape of the top. The clips are meant for cube aquariums to be able to have a glass top. Rimless tanks that is.
I think the pick up in one tank and the return in the other tank/w a canister is what you will need to insure good filtration.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A couple small thoughts. One thing is the way air will collect in the bridge. It will ease the problem of removing it if you do have a slight tilt to the top. either by cutting the sides somewhat less than true flat or by lifting one end. Either way will make the air collect at the end where it is easier to suck out.
But when fish are added, they are pretty likely to use the bridge but there is often a small hicky to the plan. They like to go upstream and all the fish may tend to wind up in one side. Some may stay in the bridge but you may want to plan in a way to occasionally reverse the flow through the bridge. A canister filter will tubing that was easy to swap the intake/output might work well.

Congrats on spending some time/effort for the kids!!!!
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
RCS would most likely be eaten by a betta. My betta hates everything. He's mad right now at some little horned nerites I put in there. All depend on the betta - I used to have them in community tanks but now i have a hateful one!

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 02:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
Vidikron, I'm right with you. As of now, I think that's what I'll do. Probably go with a Fluval 206 and a 200w inline Hydor heater.

Hoping to pick up the glass next week.
I know others suggested this arrangement, but it's got one big flaw. If the bridge ever fails you will have a major flood on your hands. Consider too how this will be in a 4 yr old's room and how at that age they tend to mess with things. oops.

I would put a small hang on tank filter on each cube, or also do a tank to tank level connection, so that if the bridge fails, you will not have a flood.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If the bridge isn't attached to the tanks, a curious person (child?) may pick it up to see what happens. With that big a bridge, what happens wouldn't be pleasant. Also, if nothing unpleasant happens immediately, the filter would soon pump all of the water to one side with the overflow ending up on the floor. If the bridge is attached to the tanks, someone (adult) may decide to use it to lift the tanks. That will almost certainly ruin your day. Finally, keeping the bridge inside surfaces clean will be enough to make you wish you weren't so creative!

Hoppy
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

With the intake and return in different tanks you will have a problem with removing debris from the tank the return is on since that tank has no intake you will be relying on debris flowing up the bridge tube. In fact there may not be enough flow in the intake tank to push debris towards that intake either. Should be a fun experiment though.

I would spend the cash and have the tanks and bridge built out of acrylic if it were going in a child's bedroom. That will be a scary amount of glass.

Tags
betta, dirted, water bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode