How to upgrade a siphon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to upgrade a siphon?

hello, so my siphon ive had for about a year now. and it loses its suction pretty fast. its one of the aqueon ones for a 10. Ive tried everything, turkey baser method to manually sucking etc... Ive even took it off and insured that the head is tightly on and reapplied new zip ties tightly .I cant even put it on the bottom of the tank without losing suction. Id rather not get a new one because it would be to big. So is there a way to upgrade it? slap a pump on the end? thanks ,

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Is it loose where the tubing is attached to the siphon? Is this one that has the hand pump? The one I have also leaks where the tubing attaches. I have found that a hose clamp can help, but zip ties do not. You might bulk it up under the hose clamp with a strip of electrical tape (yes, this is safe in the tank).

I would not glue the parts together, though. You need to be able to take it apart for cleaning.

Alternate:
Try just the tubing. No parts that need joining, so no chance of a leak. You may have to try several sizes of tubing until you find the right one that suits the way you want to clean the tank. Make sure it is long enough to reach the bucket. Raising the bucket (actually the outlet of the tubing) will slow the flow. The greater the difference in elevation between inlet and outlet means greater flow rate.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi, no it's not that's why I'm confused. No it dosent. That's why I used a turkey baister. Ok I'll try adding some electrical tape on it and check back. Gotta see if I have any clamps. Thanks

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have quite a few, and see the following problems:
The inlet inside the siphon, the little flapper thing is a trap that clogs easily.
Every attachment is similarly a possible trap for debris, or a possible leak. It does not take much of an air leak to stop the siphon.

When I use just a pure tube, no attachments, it may clog, but it does not 'stop for no reason'.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Might pickup just a tube to use also, one of my tanks has gravel so I need it for that, and one has sand so just a tube will work for that. Where can you just get the tubes ?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Home Depot has a pretty good selection.

The thin wall tubing tends to collapse, so get the thicker walled material.
1/4" is about the size of air tubing. Slow flow, but easy to clog. (just use air tubing, no need to buy this size)
3/8" is much better.
1/2" is OK (does not clog much), but can get going too fast for a small tank, you may have to slow the flow by either pinching off the tubing a bit by hand after it leaves the tank, or else raise the bucket. If you need to moderate the flow by hand, the thin wall tubing is much easier to pinch off.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yeah if the are losing the siphon, that means there is a air leak that is breaking the vacuum/siphon. So either find the leaking area and tighten it up, but if not fixable you could just use the hose itself (without the plastic tube). Put one end under the tank water and suck on the other end of the tube that goes into the bucket. Once you see the siphon effect has started take the tube out of your mouth so you don't get fish water in your mouth. Not exactly sure if you can still do the shaking tube underwater method (like the versions without the hand pump) since there is no flap (that was located in tube).
But yes rigging the tubing up with a small water pump would work, but might be a bit too strong/fast.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok I tried it just with the electrical tape, and I put 3-5 tight wraps on it and heated the end of the tube with hot tap water and it barely fit so it is super tight now ! And just tried it out and it works good! I'll check out Home Depot. Thanks all!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Over time the tubing stretches out, and no longer holds a tight seal. Enlarging the fittings with electrical tape is good.

Starting the siphon cannot be done by shaking it.
Either fill it (perhaps from the faucet, or dunking the whole tube in the tank) or suck on the end by mouth or with a turkey baster.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Everyone always talked about shaking it . Never worked lol. Turkey baister always works for me

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I also have a poor success rate with shaking them.
If the water is right up at the top of the tank, and I fill the main tube, and some of the outlet tubing by submerging it in the tank, then the shaking will start it about half the time.
Using a turkey baster to start the siphon works with narrower tubing, and a good turkey baster.
Sucking on the tubing by mouth always works, but gotta watch really close so not to drink any fish water.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

How to upgrade a siphon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I also have a poor success rate with shaking them.
If the water is right up at the top of the tank, and I fill the main tube, and some of the outlet tubing by submerging it in the tank, then the shaking will start it about half the time.
Using a turkey baster to start the siphon works with narrower tubing, and a good turkey baster.
Sucking on the tubing by mouth always works, but gotta watch really close so not to drink any fish water.

I've had my fair share of mouth fulls, it sucks. Saw another way that people were trying it, holding all of the tubing straight up and down holding the bottom of it and let the air out and put it back In the tank and let go of the bottom and it started

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode