A few questions about a future tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
A few questions about a future tank

I currently have a 10 gallon tank with one betta, a couple of anubias, an amozon sword plant, and some java moss. Its been doing ok, but there has been very slow growth. In a few weeks I am going to set up another tank. I'll be getting the right lighting, fertilizers, co2, and hopefully it will fare better than the betta tank. I have a few questions:

Where I live all the rocks are limestone, so i cant use them in the aquarium, and my local pet store doesn't care much about fish, so they are not much help at all. I was wondering if there was somewhere online or something that i can get good rock from?

Is there a good place online to get driftwood, or am i just going to do without it?

I am considering getting some shrimp for the tank. Now, this is probably a stupid question, but what happens to the old shell when they molt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm a ninja View Post
I currently have a 10 gallon tank with one betta, a couple of anubias, an amozon sword plant, and some java moss. Its been doing ok, but there has been very slow growth. In a few weeks I am going to set up another tank. I'll be getting the right lighting, fertilizers, co2, and hopefully it will fare better than the betta tank. I have a few questions:

Where I live all the rocks are limestone, so i cant use them in the aquarium, and my local pet store doesn't care much about fish, so they are not much help at all. I was wondering if there was somewhere online or something that i can get good rock from?
Rocks are heavy. (I'll bet no one else ever noticed that. ) Shipping rocks can get far too expensive than it is worth. However, you can ship things by priority mail in a flat rate box, and it isn't all the expensive if you do that. So, you might look for someone with a very good landscaping rock yard near them, and describe the type of rocks you want, and have them ship a box full of them.
Quote:

Is there a good place online to get driftwood, or am i just going to do without it?
Yes, in fact you can browse the swap n shop forum here, searching for drift wood, root wood, manzanita, etc. and you will find at least one person who regularly sells wood. From what I read there, that person, if not others, always gets raves for the quantity and quality of the wood they send.
Quote:

I am considering getting some shrimp for the tank. Now, this is probably a stupid question, but what happens to the old shell when they molt?
When I had some Amano Shrimp a few years ago I was always fretting over the dead shrimp in the tank, only to find it was just the discarded shell. I'm sure Cherry Shrimp do the same - just leave it for someone else to clean up. They never stay there for long, so I assume some fish eat the shells.

Hoppy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I never see my fish eat the molt but the shrimp sure do!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Yes, you should leave the molt in so the shrimp can get the nutrients in the old shell back.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok cool, i think I'll go ahead and get some. I was thinking red cherry shrimp or amano shrimp, or both. What do you think will be best in a tank 10-20 gallons?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh i forgot, Hoppy, what did you mean by "good landscaping rock yard"?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm a ninja View Post
Oh i forgot, Hoppy, what did you mean by "good landscaping rock yard"?
There are a few businesses here that sell nothing but "landscaping rock", which ranges from slate pavers, to gravel, to various sizes of rocks, from smooth river stones to granite rocks to holey rock, etc. The one closest to me gets various types of rocks in off and on, and if you are there at the right time you can often find really nice looking black granite, for example. But, it has been at least a year since I visited the place.

Hoppy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

oh, ok, thanks. I'll have to try that, i really need some good rock...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode