Turbo CO2 Bio-System - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to DUHK Send a message via Yahoo to DUHK
Exclamation Turbo CO2 Bio-System

I have a question. Has anybody heard of the Turbo CO2 Bio-System?

It's this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=14711

This requires a refill after about a month's worth of CO2. Since it's pretty expensive to keep buying refills, when it comes to that and shipping, do you think I could put the tubing from the CO2 Bio-System into a 2 litter bottle yeast and sugar system? Also, would the CO2 that is generated from the 2L bottle be enough for the Bio-System?

I want to save money by keeping the system's tubing and diffuser and just continue making my own CO2. Anyone think that that would work?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
I have the bio system. I haven't used it in a while, it's been replaced by a diffuser

Yes you can hook up the tubing to a 2 liter bottle.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have it, and I'm not really a fan of it. I don't likethe diffuser really. It clogs quickly I find, causeit sucks water in like a power-head, but doesnt actually filter or anything. The re-fills are a scam. I bought one once and opened it and discovered it was (NO JOKE!) a container full of sugar, with a small packet of yeast. A cheaper, and much more efficient way for DIY would be to get a 2L bottle and do DIY Co2 that way (look on here, or on google for meathods) and get a Hagen Elite Mini filter. It filters (duh!), and it acts a wonderful little- and inconspicuous- diffuser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to coralife205
i had it once....lasted about a month...then.....i realised was wasting time and money. and its easy to kill your fish with it.....so.....your best off geting a pressuised co2 tank, which will last you (depening on the size) (5lb tank) at most 8 months before you need to get it refilled. and its only about 15 dollars
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:56 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
As has been mentioned, the "Bio CO2" is simply yeast and sugar. You can easily replicate this with 2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon yeast and enough water to fill a 2L pop bottle 3/4 full.

Alternatively, you could always go with pressurized CO2.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would think that the little bottle would be superior to a diy 2 liter. You could make your own refills. If people are saying the diffuser sucks then, I don't know if the little bottle alone would be worth the money.

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
As mentioned all this system is is a fancy DIY system with a small powerhead. You can get longer lasting CO2 production with a 2ltr pop bottle and a rio 50 powerhead for a fraction of the cost.

That being said, if you can find yourself a nice used pressurized system you can save even more more of the course of time.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to DUHK Send a message via Yahoo to DUHK
Thank you guys all for your responses! It helped me a lot and will save me a ton of money.

For a pressurized CO2 system, how much do they generally cost?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHK View Post
For a pressurized CO2 system, how much do they generally cost?
About $150 or so. This would give you the solenoid, regulator, needle valve and CO2 tank (of course, this assumes you shop for each part individually, and wait for the best bargains).

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

check out www.greenleafaquariums.com They are a sponsor of this site, and from what I've read and heard, Orlando and his crew are good to deal with.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode