Need Help Getting Started... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need Help Getting Started...

Hello,
I'm new here and I'd like some help getting started on my planted tank.
I have a 30gal cube that I just started a few weeks ago. The only thing in it is a Female Beta and a MarineLand 200 filter. That's the one with the bio-wheel rated for a 50 gal tank.
I have what should be plenty of lighting. It's a fixture meant for reef-keeping. It has 2 65W PC bulbs, one is 10,000k and the other is an Actinic. It also has an HQI Metal Halide bulb. I'm pretty sure it's 250 Watts. In addition it has these little blue LED lights for moon lighting I guess.
I have a CO2 bottle and regulator and would like to find a good way to inject the CO2. I'm not sure what would be best for me and I'm not sure of the difference between a diffuser/reactor and how a bubble counter comes in to play.
I guess the first place I should start though is with the substrate. Right now the tank is bare bottom. I've seen some products online and I like the look of the black stuff. Are these substrates really necessary? They seem kind of expensive. I do have plenty of aragonite sand left over from my reef keeping days if that'd be useful for a DIY substrate.
Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:35 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mort View Post
I have what should be plenty of lighting. It's a fixture meant for reef-keeping. It has 2 65W PC bulbs, one is 10,000k and the other is an Actinic. It also has an HQI Metal Halide bulb. I'm pretty sure it's 250 Watts. In addition it has these little blue LED lights for moon lighting I guess.
You have too much lighting You will probably have an algae farm with that much lighting. For starters, I would take out the metal halide, as well as the actinic bulb. You should be able to get by with the single 10000K 65W PC bulb. You can leave the LED lights as they are.

Quote:
I have a CO2 bottle and regulator and would like to find a good way to inject the CO2. I'm not sure what would be best for me and I'm not sure of the difference between a diffuser/reactor and how a bubble counter comes in to play.
A bubble counter provides an easy visual indicator of the bubble rate (how fast you are injecting CO2) into your tank. For a 30g tank, either a diffuser or a reactor would be fine for your tank.

A diffuser (in general) works by forcing CO2 through a fine, porous membrane, making many small bubbles. The small bubbles have an enormous surface area, and quickly dissolve into the water column.

A reactor, on the other hand, is usually run in-line with your (canister) filter. As the CO2 is injected into the reactor, the movement of the water forcibly dissolves the CO2 into the water.

Do you have a needle valve for your regulator? You will need one to provide fine control for your CO2.

Quote:
I guess the first place I should start though is with the substrate. Right now the tank is bare bottom. I've seen some products online and I like the look of the black stuff. Are these substrates really necessary? They seem kind of expensive.
There are several black substrates out on the market today (Flourite Black, Flourite Black Sand, Eco Complete, ADA's Amazonia I and Amazonia II, etc). They are quite expensive, but can be critical to the success in a planted tank.

Quote:
I do have plenty of aragonite sand left over from my reef keeping days if that'd be useful for a DIY substrate.
Any advice is appreciated.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend Aragonite sand for a planted tank. You could use it, however, as long as you keep in mind their buffering abilities, etc. This would limit the choice of fish that you could keep.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the info Anthony.

If I decide to go with a diffuser, would I still need a bubble counter?

Where is a good place to go shopping for a needle valve?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:16 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
If I decide to go with a diffuser, would I still need a bubble counter?

Where is a good place to go shopping for a needle valve?
A bubble counter is not essential, strictly speaking, however, it is useful. If you don't want the added expense of buying a bubble counter, you can DIY as well.

As for needle valves, the best places to shop are on eBay as well as on the Swap and Shop forums. Here is a recent eBay posting that was linked to in the Victor and Dual Stage Regulator Pimp Club thread:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The Fabco needle valve is a very good one, probably as good as you reasonably need for an aquarium CO2 system, http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/CO2.html#needle

You can buy one from the manufacturer if you prefer - that's where I got mine.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode