LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
My New Tank Set up Debate

so i have a 30g column tank

that has housed an peacock cichlid

and an asian tiger cray

the dimensions in that column tank are not ideal really for anything fresh water, 24.5 inches tall and the base 17x17. things are a little cramped for both animals but they have gotten along very well.

i bought a 20L at the $1pg sale and i have had a constant debate (for a couple years) on if i should move them to a tank with more ground space, or keep them in what they are in now. i really would like to move them but i get scared a new tank would cause one to kill the other? i've never really seen any aggression between the two, more of a mutual respect that each could kill the other.

so that leads me to what to do with that column tank after i move everyone.

i've had a few thoughts on this. the first one was to set it up for my Geo. red devils, but they aren't really climbers so thats not ideal. I thought about setting up some sort of land mass with small pond that would open up underneath to a small 5g water area i could put a killi or something in. I could set it up for dart frogs, as cool looking as they are i'm not confident thats what i want. i could do a paladarium with it or a riparium.

my most recent thought was to make a shrimp tank with it. i could do a lot of drift wood to fill the higher up areas that would otherwise be open wastes of space.

the thing holding me back is the crayfish and cichlid decision.

HELP ME!

Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Of course it's useful! Find some nice manzanita or a driftwood stump and utilize the height. You're on the right track there.

Would make a terrific shrimp tank with lots of wood and moss.

Even Dwarf Orange Crays would be okay if you only had a couple.

What about a really fancy Betta?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i'm tired of bettas lol. i've had them in a few tanks....they are pretty but just never really been my thing.

oooh i didn't even think about CPOs. i havent those little buggers in quit some time.

Will

on Facebook.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

any one have any thoughts on the moving the crayfish and cichlid to another tank?

Will

on Facebook.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Interesting dilemma. Seems like the bigger footprint would make things more relaxed. Unless the peacock generally hangs in the upper part of the tank. If that is the case, moving them into a shorter water column would essentially put them closer together. That may or may not work out.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

my peacock hangs out mostly in the lower areas. but he does up high from time to time. i think he prefers the lower areas.

Will

on Facebook.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 01:10 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
I would be inclined to try them in the 20 then. That is one sexy crayfish btw

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
I think that tank would look really cool with Jungle Vals growing all the way up up up!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Ok, idea. A tall piece of Manzanita covered in flame moss, and then a variety of vals around it. (corkscrew, tiger, jungle, italian)
And have it as a shrimp tank, with rcs or somthing.

Last edited by fishyfishy101; 08-15-2015 at 02:59 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
i'm gonna do it! now....where to put that tank......

i love that cray (that photo is almost two years old). i've thought about trying to breed but i'm to lazy even sex him lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasa73 View Post
I think that tank would look really cool with Jungle Vals growing all the way up up up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfishy101 View Post
Ok, idea. A tall piece of Manzanita covered in flame moss, and then a variety of vals around it. (corkscrew, tiger, jungle, italian)
sold! lol i;ve been wanting do a shrimp tank again, and a few of yall think that tank would make a cool shrimp tank so i'm gonna do it! i've got a couple tangerine tiger shrimp still alive that will go in that tank....maybe some carbon rilis, or rcs (just for ease of breeding and cheapness), and of course i gotta have a few malawa.

the big challenge i see is find a piece if wood, manzanita or other type. that will be tall enough but still fit in such a tiny tank... remember it is only 17 inches deep and 17 inches wide. but it is 24 inches tall so those vals will look freakin awesome once they get established....maybe a giant hygro or two would fill in kind nicely also....

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
i'm gonna do it! now....where to put that tank......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasa73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfishy101 View Post
sold! lol i;ve been wanting do a shrimp tank again, and a few of yall think that tank would make a cool shrimp tank so i'm gonna do it! i've got a couple tangerine tiger shrimp still alive that will go in that tank....maybe some carbon rilis, or rcs (just for ease of breeding and cheapness), and of course i gotta have a few malawa.

the big challenge i see is find a piece if wood, manzanita or other type. that will be tall enough but still fit in such a tiny tank... remember it is only 17 inches deep and 17 inches wide. but it is 24 inches tall so those vals will look freakin awesome once they get established....maybe a giant hygro or two would fill in kind nicely also....

Will

on Facebook.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode