New 75 gal Tank!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question New 75 gal Tank!!!

I have just purchased a new 75 gallon tank. This will be my first planted aquarium. I have been wanting one for a long time!!! I have purchased a Fluval 405 filter. I know the light hood that came with the aquarium is useless for my situation, so I am thinking about purchasing a Corallife Aqualight Double Compact Fluoresent with 4 X 65 Watt 6,700 K bulbs total watts = 260. This would give me 3.56 watts per gallon. Is this a good choice or does anyone know any better options? I will be running pressuized co2. I will be ordering a system from greenleafaquariums.com, they seem to have the best prices. For the soil I will be using Eco-Complete. Will the tank setup be sufficient? Or am I atleast headed in the right direction? Any advice or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'd get a T5HO fixture, they're more efficient. Also I wouldn't use the eco-complete, it costs way too much to use in a large tank (IMO at least). ADA aquasoil isn't cheap either, but apparently works great for growing plants because it has lots of nutrients in it; eco complete doesn't.

Mineralized top soil will also provide lots of nutrients for the plants, but is more work to make. Much cheaper though.

Or you can just use regular inert substrate, add some root fertilizer tabs and dose fertilizer to the water column, stuff will grow fine. You don't need to spend $100 on substrate to have a nice planted tank.

Catalina Aquarium fixtures are nice, I have the 3x54W T5HO light on my 75. I was trying to decide between that and a 4x54W fixture, most people said they only used all 4 bulbs for part of the day, so I decided spending extra for light I didn't need wasn't necessary.

the triple bulb fixture is $140, I paid about $178 total, with shipping and the legs (which are $10)

The quadruple bulb fixture is $190, so probably $230 or so total with shipping, if you get the legs.

Nova Extreme T5 fixtures are also nice, I have a smaller one on my 29 and it works well.

A T5 fixture won't provide as many watts, but the reflectors are better and they are more efficient than power compact.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Planted Member

that seems like way too much light/gallon for a 75. what plants are you looking to grow. i've read many a post where people switched from eco-complete to an ada soil. probably best to tap your water supply to know what param wars you'll be fighting.

VICTOR PIMP #41 - HTP270C-250

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I agree with FSM, stick with T5ho. I bought the 2x65 for my 55g and I'll probably replace it in the next year. CFL bulb selection is not nearly as good as T5HO. The main online store I buy from doesn't even carry the 6700K bulbs so I had to order them from somebody else. I'm worried that the next time they need to be changed they won't even be available.

Eheim Pimp #381
Raleigh Aquarium Society Member
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:26 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You have a lot of light for a 75g tank. As it is your first planted tank, you may want to try something a low light, low tech tank first. With high light tanks, you will need CO2 (which you have covered), but in addition, to fertilize with a regular regimen.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Question What about this light choice?

Thanks for all of yalls advice, I saw this light on Dr. Foster's & Smith.com its a Nova Extreme SLR T-5 48" 108 watt 1 - 54 w 10,000k & 1- 54 w Freshwater. Would this be sufficent? I am really interested in having a higher light tank. Im not sure this will provide enough light.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (104/100%)
I would go with a catalina fixture.. great light for your $$$ I went through a few different fixtures before the catalina and wish I would have gone that route to begin with.

I have a 75gal now and I have the catalina 4x54 which is plenty. I have a 10hr photoperiod with a 3hr noon burst. I can grow almost anything. There are a few that don't fare well.. but not too many. here is a link to my journal so you can see a few pictures and see for yourself the plants you can grow with this amount of light.
Remember the higher the lighting the chance for problems is magnified quite a bit. co2, ferts, water changes, etc have to be in check.

I am using topsoil capped with 3m colorquartz (average 23.00) per bag and it works great. holds plants down well.

I would recommend having more than one canister.. but that is just my opinion. more filtration the better!

there are some pictures on this page of my journal. just a reference because I have a 75gal too.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ed-5-a-50.html

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Ok Im going to go with the Catalina 2 x 54 also. Thanks!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's not too much light at all... don't listen to people that say that's too much light because I have the exact same fixture on my 72 bow, c02 injection, dry fert, flourish for trace... all my plants are doing amazing... especially my java fern which is actually really close to the lights... so if java fern is pearling like crazy and green as can be... literally glowing green... then I think for 75 gallons it would be just fine... I'll get some pics of my fixture on the tank and the java fern pearling soon.

just my $.02
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
I'd get a T5HO fixture, they're more efficient. Also I wouldn't use the eco-complete, it costs way too much to use in a large tank (IMO at least). ADA aquasoil isn't cheap either, but apparently works great for growing plants because it has lots of nutrients in it; eco complete doesn't.

Mineralized top soil will also provide lots of nutrients for the plants, but is more work to make. Much cheaper though.

Or you can just use regular inert substrate, add some root fertilizer tabs and dose fertilizer to the water column, stuff will grow fine. You don't need to spend $100 on substrate to have a nice planted tank.

Catalina Aquarium fixtures are nice, I have the 3x54W T5HO light on my 75. I was trying to decide between that and a 4x54W fixture, most people said they only used all 4 bulbs for part of the day, so I decided spending extra for light I didn't need wasn't necessary.

the triple bulb fixture is $140, I paid about $178 total, with shipping and the legs (which are $10)

The quadruple bulb fixture is $190, so probably $230 or so total with shipping, if you get the legs.

Nova Extreme T5 fixtures are also nice, I have a smaller one on my 29 and it works well.

A T5 fixture won't provide as many watts, but the reflectors are better and they are more efficient than power compact.
i use eco-complete and my amazon swords love it considering they mainly flourish through the roots. Not sure where you heard that from but its great and to top it off you don't have to rinse it. (specifically say not too)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:08 PM

One suggestion try, mixing up the bulb don't limit yourself to the 6700k bulb, try one 6700k, 10kk and a 18000k just so you can get the entire spectrum. I have a nova extreme pro and they're fantastic! Mine has six bulbs but it has two switches; one lights up four the other lights up two. I keep the 2 on for an hour or so in the morning and at sundown the other 4 during the day wors very well and super quiet
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robelwilson View Post
Ok Im going to go with the Catalina 2 x 54 also. Thanks!
3 x 54watt is suggested, and what I use over a 75gall too.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:59 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

The 3x54W fixture is only slightly more expensive than 2x54W.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Sorry typo!!!

I actually meant I was getting the Catalina 4 x 54 not 2 x 54! Would it be a bad idea to mix eco-complete and Amazonia? I already have the eco-complete
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 05:21 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

No that's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahchay View Post
i use eco-complete and my amazon swords love it considering they mainly flourish through the roots. Not sure where you heard that from but its great and to top it off you don't have to rinse it. (specifically say not too)
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...+complete+iner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode