A Snail Tank? Need Your Views - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Snail Tank? Need Your Views

Any ideas? Some people view them as pests but I kind of like them. I have a growing collection of snail shells, all shapes and sizes from the beach. At the moment there all soaking over night in boiling hot water ready to be placed in my spare 12L tank (I've already soaked them in boiling hot water a few times since collecting them). I'm wondering if snails are hardy or not, are they fuzzy about water? I've been told on this forum that shells raise the hardness of your water, so what would say 100 empty snail shells and then all the other alive snails shells do to the water?

If I get round to it I will upload some pictures of the really cool shells that have holes in them from birds pecking there way in for some grub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 03:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

You could put all the shells in the tank, then test the water a few times afterwards. That way you'll know the extent of the increase in hardness. I expect the live snails will use the minerals leached into the tank water.

I have two sadly deceased nerite snails in a 3 Litre capacity tank. I sucked up the decomposed bodies and left the snail shells in the water. Figured the bladder snail babies would be fine with it. Our water here is very soft, and I didn't know the extent of it until not too long ago. So, it's a much smaller scale of your plan.

And I like snail tanks, FYI.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you're talking about snail shells for decoration, then I suggest the shell-dwelling cichlids of Africa, or maybe bumblebee gobies with a tank that small.

If you're talking about keeping snails as the main residents...go for it! Depending on the species of snail, you can have anywhere from bullet-proof (bladder/pond, Nerites, MTS) to relatively sensitive (the rabbit/elephant snails of Sulawesi). With just a 12 liter/litre tank, I wouldn't go with rabbit snails (tylomelania I think), as they're just too big. There are other snails out there, like the "Golden Mystery" snails that I loved so much as a kid.

As for hardness, the snails prefer water with more calcium in it, that way it doesn't dissolve their shells. Acidic water will dissolve the shells. More snail shells will raise the hardness of the water, similar to how putting a bag of crushed oyster shells in the filter raises the hardness.Calcium carbonate substrate would be nice, but not a requirement. As always, research is key.

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 03:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I love my snails! I have mystery in different colors, for some reason I've lost my pretty majenta ones. i like the gold and ivory ones. My horned nerite is so cute! My zebra and zorro (I think) like to get out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smells Fishy View Post
I'm wondering if snails are hardy or not, are they fuzzy about water?
Snails are pretty hardy, that said, acidic water tends to erode their shells and eventually kills them.

Ideally they like water with relatively high GH, or a high calcium/magnesium food source, and sufficient alkalinity to keep the pH above 7.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode