What is this? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
What is this?

This is biggest problem in my tank. If I can just figure out what it is and get it to stop coming back, my tank would be beautiful. In the pics, you see the leaves on my sunset hygro have black edges on alot of the leaves. It is also this black hair or thread like stuff growing attached to a couple leaves. I hope you can see what i mean because these are the best pics i can get. I fertilize, good co2, good lighting the whole works. Just after months and months of work on the tank, oi still get this stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
It's just algae, i get it on my sunset hygro as well. Blackbeard algae maybe? I'm not an algae expert. I found that if you reduce lighting temporarily, spot dose excel, and trim the worst of it away, it'll go away.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 09:36 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks like a mild case of black beard algae.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Is that a lot of bubbles in the water? From an airstone? If so, that is probably keeping the CO2 level down too low. BBA seems to show up anytime there are problems with the CO2 level in the tank. Starting with DIY CO2 for a 20 gallon tank, you have an uphill battle keeping enough there, but if you use an airstone too, you will run low on CO2 for sure.

If the bubbles are CO2, it would help to find a way to get much smaller bubbles. A DIY needlewheel powerhead would help with that.

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
This might sound odd but i'm not too sure what those bubbles are. There are no airstones, just an internal filter chopping up a fine mist of co2. My drop checker stays a nice greenish yellow. I am trying to work on pressurized but cylinders are really expensive.

anyway, those bubbles are these clusters of bubbles that build up on the water surface, like a foam. Dont know if its co2 or oxygen but when the bubbles drift under the aquaclear 50 hob filter i use, the flow pushes them back into the water. You see them in the pic because the hygro is right under the filter. I hope i explained the situation right.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 02:46 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
that's staghorn.
try to up you CO2.. it's not too bad. You can just pick it off.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode