snails i want them gone help... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)
snails i want them gone help...

so i have a discus planted tank never had an issue w/ snails i had one or two that i saw every now and then but that was very rare now i see a few hundred.... i cant figure out what caused the out break... they all seem to be dying before they get big, i think due to my very soft water, but they are bid enough to multiply i guess.... anyway how to get rid of them?? i have a ton of plants! and discus... i tried manually doing it but i kill 50 and 100 more pop up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
I was going to suggest a couple of dwarf puffers. They cleaned my tank of little ramshorns in no time. But with discus the puffers will likely nip and bother them. Snails usually start to explode in population because excess food is available to support such. Are you cleaning up uneaten food well and promptly? In a tank where fish are not overfed there is usually little snail issues.

---------
My tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)
oh yeah 50% WC 2x week and i have a feeding cone and not is spilled and what is my corys clean up... plus my nitrates are always low zero ammonia and nitrite

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 02:37 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Snails aren't necessarily bad. They can actually be quite beneficial as long as they don't start eating your plants. But if you want them gone, your best bet for a discus tank would be either manual removal, or a trio or more of a loach species (yoyo, burmese, zebra etc. Clowns and Tigers might be too rough for discus to handle).

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
you can get a two liter soda bottel or something that has a small opening like that, and put all kinds of food in it like shrimp pellets, lettuce, cucumbers, algea waffers. try ans make it as appetizing as possible. And then sink the bottel and put it in the tank at night. Then in the morning pull it out and im sure you will have a ton of snails in there. Do that every once in a while and that will keep them under control.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
I had a tank being overrun with the slimy little bastards, and if you can tolerate a couple of Yo-Yo loaches (which I happen to like, BTW), they will clean them out in short order. My totally infested tank was snail free in a matter of days.

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
i keep loaches for snail control~ it works wonders
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:30 PM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
yep loaches=no snails again!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ya I had a couple yoyo loaches they kept the tank free of snails, but be careful they can be fin nippers. Mine was so they had to go.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:36 AM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
They may also eat some types of plants, mine shredded some Hygrophila angustifolia but everything else they ignore. I moved a bunch of plants/driftwood into their tank, from a tank that had snails. There are no snails in the yo yo loach tank though.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've had kuhli loaches and zebra loaches for snail control. Kuhli loaches have kept my fish alone, but I think the zebra loaches (botia striata) nipped an eye off from two of my young platies! Eeps... Still, they were excellent for eliminating my snail overpopulation.

I am also told that assassin snails are good for getting rid of one's snail population, and they don't reproduce nearly as prolifically as your typical snail. =P
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sorry for replying to an old thread but...
What do you feed the loaches after they eat all of your snails in the tank?
I'm trying to stay away from the copper treatment for control of snails.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramirezi View Post
Sorry for replying to an old thread but...
What do you feed the loaches after they eat all of your snails in the tank?
I'm trying to stay away from the copper treatment for control of snails.
They'll eat any food that hits the bottom of the tank. Mine used to mow down blackworms like there was no tomorrow.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Loaches eat anything and are pretty aggressive about getting it. You don't have to worry about them getting their share.

Free the Carbon

55 gallon 2 wpg planted dosing excel with guppies, and shrimp
90 gallon mixed reef with clowns, gobies, and cardinals
150 gallon african cichlid tank with clown loaches
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:04 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
mine like sinking shrimp pellets, blackworms, daphnia, algae wafers, and boiled veggies.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode