New to planted tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to planted tanks

First and foremost let me say hi. The resources here are amazing. I'm not new to tanks but I am new to plants in them.

I have a 55g tank with a sunsun 404b filter and finnex 24/7 led bar, both are new items. Doing a full reset as we recently went through a losing battle with camallanus worms. I have fish in quarantine that I am now treating with paracide x and sulfa 4 tmp as per National fish pharmacy's recommendation, 1 golden dojo loach, 3 black kuhli loaches, 1 rubber lipped pleco, 2 otto's, and an overstuffed neon tetra(no worms he's just a fat bastard). I also have a few other schooling fish we recently purchased in a separate quarantine tank(5 long fin zebra danio's, 5 white clouds, and 3 neon tetra's. We plan on stocking the tank with a few more fish like german rams and boesemani rainbows as well as a variety of shrimp and a few cory's. I would like a blue lobster as well but am afraid it would pick at the silicone and cause a leak.

My question is whether my light will be enough for dwarf baby tears or star grass. I've tried baby tears in the past but my light and substrate were not enough. I will be using flourite black as my substrate and I've toyed with the idea of laying 10 lbs of the tractor supply clay I've seen mentioned underneath to bolster iron, is that overkill? I am not setting up c02 yet but it is a possibility in the future. I also plan on having amazon swords, java moss, anachris, and hygro xl's in the tank. I have a large centerpiece plant currently in the tank that I believe is an Indian red sword, I bought it in ignorance but it has done well under poor conditions.

Thanks for the help...pics soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 03:18 AM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think you'd be able to buy a pound of iron chelate from GLA for close to the cost of a questionable clay substrate additive. At least you know it would do the job. Definitely recommend co2 for your tank upgrade. Also...multiple Amazon swords will end up dominating the tank. One amazon sword would. I let an Amazon sword grow for one year in my 75 gallon tank, trimming old leaves as they'd die, and by the time I removed it, the roots had literally made a brick of the entire footprint of the tank. All the substrate was all stuck together from sword roots. Just something to keep in mind. The light may be sufficient being that a 55 gallo is very narrow front to back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemicalSnypr View Post
My question is whether my light will be enough for dwarf baby tears or star grass. I've tried baby tears in the past but my light and substrate were not enough.
Dwarf baby tears (hemianthus callitrichoides) is a MUCH more demanding plant than regular baby tears (hemianthus glomeratus)..

It is exceptionally difficult to grow dwarf baby tears without CO2. You also will want to do a full dry fertilizer regiment with them.. macros and micros, dosed per EI or maybe PPS-Pro.

You'll also want lighting at or above 50 PAR... On a 55 gallon tank (21" high) you're about 45 PAR on MAX, based on my testing.. That's not quite strong enough if you run it 7 hours a day on MAX.. It is definitely not enough if you use 24/7 mode, where it's only particularly bright for about 3 hours a day...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...385&highlight=

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
Dwarf baby tears (hemianthus callitrichoides) is a MUCH more demanding plant than regular baby tears (hemianthus glomeratus)..

It is exceptionally difficult to grow dwarf baby tears without CO2. You also will want to do a full dry fertilizer regiment with them.. macros and micros, dosed per EI or maybe PPS-Pro.

You'll also want lighting at or above 50 PAR... On a 55 gallon tank (21" high) you're about 45 PAR on MAX, based on my testing.. That's not quite strong enough if you run it 7 hours a day on MAX.. It is definitely not enough if you use 24/7 mode, where it's only particularly bright for about 3 hours a day...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...385&highlight=
What if I supplemented the finnex with a t5 bulb or 2 on a timer for say 6 hours a day(10am-4pm)? I am planning on building a hood for the tank and could incorporate a t5 setup in the construction.

I see I have some more research to do. Thanks for the fast replies.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Jacking your light up further without CO2 injection is almost certain to result in an algae farm...

Besides, adding more light to a CO2 limited system doesn't help the plants any.. Plants can only use light if they have sufficient CO2 and water. CO2 and water are the raw materials plants use to make sugars, and light is the source of energy to do it. If they run out of CO2, they can't make more sugar, and more light does absolutely nothing to help the plant.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode