Upgrading planted tank from 15 to 55 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Upgrading planted tank from 15 to 55 gallon

As the title states, I'm upgrading.

Can I transfer the fish over right away (after acclimating). I'll be transferring over about 7 plants and buying another 10. The current substrate is 20lb eco complete but I'm going with majority of blasting sand in the new set up.

I want to carry over the 20lb of eco complete into the new 55.

Current stock list is 3 angels, 1 dwarf guarami, 1 clown or candycane pleco

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 01:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
The answer to your question about moving the fish right away depends on what you do with the filter or filter media from your old tank. This is where all your good bacteria are, so you must also transfer it to the new tank. Granted, your larger tank will need a larger filter, but at a minimum, run the old filter side by side with your new one until the new filter becomes seeded with enough bacteria to sustain your new tank (test like you did when cycling your first tank).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxfisher View Post
The answer to your question about moving the fish right away depends on what you do with the filter or filter media from your old tank. This is where all your good bacteria are, so you must also transfer it to the new tank. Granted, your larger tank will need a larger filter, but at a minimum, run the old filter side by side with your new one until the new filter becomes seeded with enough bacteria to sustain your new tank (test like you did when cycling your first tank).
Ok sounds good, thank you

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Picked up 100 lb of black blasting sand today filling up jugs of RO right now. I have about 18 gallons so far.

I have another question about another tank if someone wants to give me some insight. I had to leave a 10 gallon un attended for about 12 days. There were no fish, just driftwood and some plants and eco complete. The filter was running but apparently stopped at some point so the water went stagnant and now the whole thing smells even though I drained it.

Can I rinse the eco complete and boil the drift wood?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Does that mean you will be filling your new tank with RO water? Why?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I thought Id dilute my tap water. I started my 15 on tap but I'm thinking some of my plants lack of success was issues due to high magnesium in my water. Copper is high too but nothing too high for fish.
Also, I'm going to have a sump where I wanted to one day do some shrimp breeding so I wanted to keep levels under control.

But I realize this may be trying to make my car fly as well and maybe should keep the two separate.

I see people tend to use tap more unless keeping super soft plant species.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

High magnesium is not toxic to plants. I suspect you have other issues affecting your plant's lack of success.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's not toxic but excess can cause lockout of calcium and potassium.

I'm relatively new to keeping pants completely underwater so I'm sure it's a combination of things leading to my plants lack of success.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you will be moving the fish into the tank where you are using the RO water, then do not use too much at first. Make the parameters in the new set up just a little softer in the new set up. As you do water changes you can add greater % of RO until the parameters suit you (or your fish).

Beneficial bacteria live on all the surfaces in the tank- roughly 50% in the filter, and the remaining 50% on all the other surfaces- substrate, rocks, driftwood, plant leaves and stems, ceramic merpeople and so on.
The bacteria on the substrate are not down deep, but only in the top few layers of material. The area with lots of water flow for oxygen and ammonia to get to the bacteria.
The best way to save this is to skim it off first, before you get it mixed with the deeper substrate. You can add this to the new set up in several ways. If you like the look, just spread it over the surface of the new set up. If you do not want it in there, then put it in mesh bags and place them in areas with high water flow. Remove them one at a time each week for perhaps a month. This gives the bacteria a chance to grow in other areas without depleting the population too much.

You can also supplement the population by adding Nitrospira species of bacteria from a bottle.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the insight Diana! Move was successful. I drip acclimated them and matched temperature as I moved over the plants/rocks and any equipment/brackets I used. I did move the top layer of substrate over as well.

I haven't plumbed it yet, but I have the (2) bulkheads installed ready to connect to a sump below. I'm thinking it will be a 20g long. Or maybe I can get away with a 10g.

The angels and gourami are loving the extra room.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode