odd seeping from driftwood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
odd seeping from driftwood

I am soaking a large chunk of driftwood I found on the banks of a creek near my house. I have seen a blue oil like streak come out of it in a couple places. Is this due to its decay? It doesnt have any rot on it. The blue streaks look to be seeping from a lighter colored area on the piece. The creek is a mountain creek that has no pollutants like oil spills etc. It is world renown for its fishing and purity. It is an incredible piece..I mean incredible!! Any ideas?

I also noticed this blue slick around some of the stagnant water and on the banks of slow moving side tributaries where lots of mud was found.

When I say blue streaks I mean it appears like an oil slick but not rainbow like oil or gas etc is. ANNND where the slick is coming from the wood is kinda sticky, when you scrape it the scrapings are tacky feeling. Its a clay mud and it comes off easily.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
try pressure washing, i just finished a 55gal set-up with a huge piece of driftwood. the wood developed a splotchy, white patches on parts and was also seeping out a resiny film. i pulled the piece out and pressure washed it at a local car-wash. since then, no patches and no resiny film. btw a friend suggested that the resiny film might have been old tree sap.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I second the idea of pressure washing aquarium wood. I was amazed at how effective it was the first time I tried it. If it knocks off a part of the wood, that part was probably decayed and shouldn't have been in the tank anyway. Obviously you don't want to use really high pressure, like 2000 psi, for this, but any pressure that is safe on a car shouldn't be too much for the wood. I have a cheap pressure washer for wood decking, that I use, and I just keep the nozzle a foot or so from the wood to keep from over pressuring it.

By the way, that is a great chunk of wood, worth a lot of effort to get it usable in the tank.

Hoppy

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sweet! I am gonna pressure was it again and boil it where I can. This thing was about 30" tall when I brought it home. It is gonna look pretty good in my 180! Thanks for the input. I think I am gonna go buy one of the metal trash cans and insulate the sides some how to make a large container I can boil large chunks of wood in. I have tons of large pieces of drift wood to use but have never really felt 100% about all of them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode