HELP - Worms/parasites in my tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
HELP - Worms/parasites in my tank?

I found this thing growing on a peice of driftwood in my tank, and I also saw a very thin, white worm creeping across it as well. What in the world is this? How do I get rid of them?

Sorry for the bad quality photo... I can't seem to work around the distortion that the glass/water gives off.

These guys are very small.. probably as thin as a strand of hair.

Bump: Alright so I just did a quick search, and I'm not sure if these are planaria.. but most articles seem to recommend a gravel vac. How do you do this in a tank where most of the ground is covered with plants? Not sure this is possible without messing with the roots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Algae Grower

hydra, im having it as well >.<
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 03:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
The picture is of a hydra. They can be pests if you have fry or shrimp. If not, you're fine. The worm is a nematode or 'detritus worm' and it's harmless. You may see them after turning the filter on if you turn it off during water changes. Your fish may eat them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 12:42 AM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you want to eradicate them, you'll need one of these.

Or you can use "heat treatment" too. Bring the temp to 105F for about 2 hours, but not sure if the plants/moss will be able to handle those temperatures before they melt.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I have a black molly that will not let anything like this survive in my tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hydra are sign of good water quality btw if that makse you feel better. I have a couple of thanks that have them. some are white, some are greeniish.

|
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
A word of caution about using parasite meds in a tank, it will kill your snails too. Snails and other invertebrates like shrimp will be killed as well as the pest. Detritus worms are beneficial to your tank. They help clean up waste and fish will eat them if they get a chance. My fish eat any hydra that show up in my tanks. I have scraped them off with a razor blade while running an electric tank vacuum. It helped control them until the fish discovered they could eat them,

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode