Intro and help wanted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Intro and help wanted

Hi. I live in Central Florida (Space Coast) and am new to planted tanks. I have been keeping fish forever, but when we moved here a couple years ago I stopped. I have done mostly saltwater for the last decade or so, but want to switch back to fresh water. I have a 40 gallon breeder that I want to be a low tech planted tank. I do have powerful LED lights but they are dimmable. Since I don't plan on CO2 additions at the moment I know I have to keep them dialed down.

There is no water in the tank yet. I am picking up some black diamond (medium) on Tuesday to go in the tank and already have some Flourish root tabs ready to be used.

With that in mind, I want to get plants but am a bit overwhelmed. In the past, buying from those on the forums was preferred, but since I don't even know which ones to pick this is difficult. Would you recommend just getting an assortment from aquariumplants.com or the like? How many plants should I be starting with? I know it will grown in and I want to leave room for future purchases, but want to start right.

Any help is appreciated.

edit: should I just buy a few plants from petsmart or petco?

Last edited by Maverick2015; 08-09-2015 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Added question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Tropica has tons of inspiration. I would say look at the different scapes, decided what plants you like, and then see if your LFS has those plants. If they don't, you can order plants online.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfishy101 View Post
Tropica has tons of inspiration. I would say look at the different scapes, decided what plants you like, and then see if your LFS has those plants. If they don't, you can order plants online.
Thanks. Petco had a sale the last few days but I missed it because my tank isn't setup. Oh well. I'll see about prices compared. How many should I need?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Osmocote+ capsules available from this and other sources. They contain complete nutrients for the plants. Use only as directed and in a 40B that would be two rows down the middle 6" apart, 3" on either side of the middle. 10 in the 40B.
There is a list of plants in the first thread in the "Low Tech" part of the forum which gives low light plants or plants that will grow in low light.
A thread that can help you to understand growing plants.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...php?t=107303#2
What type of filter do you have ?
More info about the light will help.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 08-10-2015 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Don't link to the For Sale section on the open forum
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2015 View Post
Thanks. Petco had a sale the last few days but I missed it because my tank isn't setup. Oh well. I'll see about prices compared. How many should I need?
That depends on the plants you want. Smaller plants (like carpet plants) you would want more of, bigger plants (like amazon sword) you would want less of. It also matters how many types of plants you want. If you want many different types of plants its best to get a few of each. If you only want a few plants, get a lot of each.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am still piecing together my equipment from storage, but the lights I have are meant for coral so the coloring might be a little blue. It is this:
http://maxspectusa.com/index.php?opt...d=20&Itemid=21

I figure I could dial it way down and not use the blue channel.

I don't think I have a filter any more, but can convert something if I need to. I have various powerheads I can use and actually do have an in tank sponge filter I could use or a phosban reactor I can put media in if need be.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Been reading a lot of posts. So much information that I haven't been posting.

I might start a new thread for this but .... how do you keep floaters from being pushed under water?

Plants coming today. Yay. (Not floaters)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode