Still tons of particulates in my water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
LFM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Still tons of particulates in my water

Can't understand it. For a few months now my water has a lot of particulates floating around in it all the time. I have two Eheim 2215's and an AQ 70 going and the tank is 65 gal. I water change half the tank every week religiously. I wonder if it's because my fish have grown so big that their solid waste is just too much for the tank. No apparent problems on the health of my fish though and my nitrate levels are ok.

Cheers,
LFM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Can you post a picture?
Water parameters?
Substrate, hard scape, type and number of fish?

More details will help get a better answer. Plus, pictures are really worth a thousand words!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+1 Pictures needed. Too many possible causes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
By the description, it sounds like you have given it a good look and know that it is not an algae bloom? Not tiny little green dots too small to see until there are lots of them?

So if it is small bits of debris, then we should move to the filtering. If the parts are suspended and not being taken out by the filters, there might be two causes. One which might be overlooked is when you have fish who do a lot of bottom stirring so that there is a constant flow of debris kicked up.
Another and more likely might be that your filter cleaning routine is not good enough or the media used is not quite right.
To do a filter process check, we need to keep in mind that the nitrate is a result rather than something the filters remove. But if you have no ammonia or nitrite problems, the bio filtering is probably okay.
But the mechanical filtering may not be good. This can be poor choice of media, poor design of the filter, or it can be that the media is filled and unable to hold more debris. Poor media can let too much through. Poor design can let too much bypass the media. If the "look" of the water is somewhat better for a few days after cleaning, that would tell you that you need to clean more often.
If the debris is hanging out around the bottom, a look at a powerhead to get it moved to the filter intake may be the solution.
Just some suggestions to chew on?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
LFM
Planted Member

Perhaps I'm expecting too much. I just checked out a planted tank at a LFS and I saw some particulates floating around in that tank too. I just took these pics and the particulates aren't quite as bad as it can be. Usally in the mornings its a little worse. It's really hard to tell the particulate concentrations in these pics as well.

The particulates are not specs of algae.

I just completely cleaned out both of my canister filters within the last month and I clean the AquaClear out every week with my water changes.

I do have a couple geophagus nortae (earth movers) and three small bronze corys.

My phosphate and nitrates are ~1.0 and ~10-20 respectively. It was pretty difficult to judge the exact nitrate reading. (I'm using purigen FWI and regenerate regularily)

One thing that has been happening over the last few months is one by one my neon rosys and 24K rosys would lose their equilibrium and start corkscrewing until they would eventually die. The pattern seekers we humans have evolved to be leads me to believe that I'm attributing those deaths to perhaps these 2 types of rosys because they are not a natural strain in nature and something in their DNA is perhaps causing that from the inbreeding? I don't know. But all my other fish are doing fine and the other types that I would consider far more fragile such as my angel fish, gouramis, tetras, and red-tailed black shark are flourishing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646[1].jpg
Views:	36
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	504714  

Name:	IMG_1644[2].jpg
Views:	40
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	504722  

Name:	IMG_1645[1].jpg
Views:	36
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	504730  

Cheers,
LFM.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If those 3 pictures are supposed to represent "tons of particulates in the water", you need to relax...
That is like cristal clear.

|
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
LFM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
If those 3 pictures are supposed to represent "tons of particulates in the water", you need to relax...
That is like cristal clear.
LOL...thanxs. I take a lot of pride in my tank. I suppose the addition of the 3 cory cats and how much my geophagus nortae have grown I suppose they can stir it up a bit from time to time. I think the increased particulates from time to time have coincided with the addition of the corys now that I think of it.

Cheers,
LFM.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Okay! Lots of good info on the tank. First I would agree that it looks pretty good from here!
But when you mention the eartheaters, I can get the idea of where some of the problem may be picked up. The filters may be working at their total best but if the fish are constantly kicking up a dust storm, it takes some time for the debris to move to the intakes at best. And then the way cories seem to find food is more of a blunder around affair more than an organized search. Kind of fun to watch but at times I want to scream when they are really searching hard for food as it falls in their face! And all that extra wiggle from the little clowns will add some debris kicked up.
We can all hope for better but I'm thinking on a 1-10 scale for debris, you may be pretty close to the top rating!
I raise cichlids and it is closer to trying to keep the leaves from being buried at times?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
LFM
Planted Member

Totally agree on the corys. Frustrating at times when the food just about drops in their mouths and they don't pick up on it.

Cheers,
LFM.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 12:43 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
Totally agree on the corys. Frustrating at times when the food just about drops in their mouths and they don't pick up on it.
Funny my Dwarf Panda Cories are super active at feeding time. They tackle the crisps and body check anyone trying to grab them from them. It is hilarious to watch. Even the Tiger Barbs and Flying Foxes can't take them away from them. I do tend to feed heavy....they all seem hungry! lol So there is plenty that falls to the ground for them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode