Mud tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mud tank

Can anyone describe a silt or mud tank for brackish water fish?

What layers? What "mud" do I use? This is not the kitty litter thing, is it?

I am wondering because I want to set up a 120 for violet gobies, possibly mudskippers and a few other fish. It needs to be brackish. Apparently these guys are happiest in a silt/mud bottomed tank. Not many plants. (salt grasses?).

Also, since we are here, does any one have dragon/violet gobies of the Gobioides broussoneti species? Apparently they mostly die because they starve to death because people put them in with faster fish.

Thanks if any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This sounds awosme hope some people know some stuff thanks for posting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 06:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

I like what your trying to do. The few tanks I have seen that were trying to emulate actual mud bottoms faked it by usinf black substrata and building a formation where fish like mud skippers could come out. They were ok, but nothing like we have come to expect in other aquarium area.

I will follow this. There is a lot of interesting things that live in the tidal mud flats.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Excuse my ignorance. Just curious. What is mud bottom? Is like like a dirt tank but not capped with any sand or gravel?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 12:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Have you looked into refugium mud (miracle mud seems to be the preferred brand)?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I haven't really looked into it much but I wouldn't think MTS or MOPS would work well(too much organics and nutrients). Would be very silty and every time a fish moved they would stir up a cloud.

I wonder if something like dead sand would work better. It's inert(at least mostly) is heavy enough to settle quickly when disturbed but still has a mud look and feel when wet.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 04:15 AM
Algae Grower

I don't know if brackish would have any effect on this but you could use old aquasoil or if you have any old soil based tanks that you would like to teardown or rescape, the used soil works great for settling relatively quickly. I do mean old too.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis View Post
Have you looked into refugium mud (miracle mud seems to be the preferred brand)?
I would avoid Miracle Mud. It's extremely expensive at $60 to $70 for only 10 pounds. You can get any of the other SW refugium muds for about 1/2 the price.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode